Freelander-- Should i buy one

countrychef

I'm looking for a new 4x4 to replace the one i just wrote off. I'm after a van version due to having dogs, ferrets and a farmers daughter for a girlfriend.It also needs to be comfortable for long journeys ( 300+ miles ) . Thats why i thought of the freelander. It would'nt be for heavy off roading driving over farm land and through thick muddered gateways mostly.

Been looking at 53 -54 2.0 td4's with around 100k miles on them.

Any tips or suggestions? I have been warned about them eating tires and problems with the drive machanics between engine and gearbox.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer

Go for it! I have just brought a Freelander 2.0Lt TD4 04 plate, and its great to drive

and with dealers falling over to sell you will proberly get a bargin.

Read a few previous threads to find out more info, but I would go ahead and get one.

hope you find what your looking for.

regrads

Dave

I'm looking for a new 4x4 to replace the one i just wrote off. I'm after a van version due to having dogs, ferrets and a farmers daughter for a girlfriend.It also needs to be comfortable for long journeys ( 300+ miles ) . Thats why i thought of the freelander. It would'nt be for heavy off roading driving over farm land and through thick muddered gateways mostly.

Any tips or suggestions? I have been warned about them eating tires and problems with the drive machanics between engine and gearbox.

Great to Drive - i bought a 03 TD4 and its fantastic on the road -the family love it only problems is you have to keep service up to date - read my post and dont get stung !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We love our 1.8 Freelander.

The only thing I would say is its geared for slow speed driving not motorway use. TD4s may be different but its worth checking it out if you are doing a lot of long drives as ours is about 3500rpm at 70 which is a bit harsh.

Good luck finding a goodun. Do your research re IRDs VCs etc don't be too put off by faults, most stuff can be fixed cheaply and buying one that needs something doing could get you a real bargain.

Will :)

If the drivetrain gives hints of problems, removing the rear prop complete takes very little time and removes almost all the issues (VCU, prop support bearings, rear diff problems, tyre scrubbing, IRD breakage) as the bits that go wrong are either no longer attached or just doing nothing. May not be ideal if you have to tow a horsebox across a muddy field regularly, but you can still get a fair way with FWD and a bit of determination :P

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,I have a 2002 td4 Freelander commercial (van) for sale if you are interested.

Lovely on long journeys.I quite often d0 250-500 mile trips and you dont even know you have been anywhere when you get out!,also my td4 returns an average of 38-40mpg driving at 65-70.The same sort of consumtion as from a diesel car but from a 4x4.Never taken mine off road but i have heard and read that they are suprisingly good.

You will allways hear good things and bad things about any car but personally i havnt a bad word to say about them!.Serviced mine every 6000 miles(below recomendation) and never really had much go wrong just the odd wearing parts.Highly recomended!

Heres a link to mine if you fancy having a look.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/861860.htm

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The price of them has tumbled recently, but less so the TD4. Great car!!! Not got the same build quality as the Germans, but fantastic non the less. So practical.