Hand brake

Hello all,

First of all happy new year! I have a annoyance with the hand brake lever, it springs back up when I disengage it and the handbrake light comes on, pushing it down doesn't seem to cure it, today I took off the handbrake drum to clean inside, but it was pretty clean to start, everything was in place, so now I'm thinking is it the cable has it stretched or has the spring on the cable inside the drum become too compressed so not pulling back on the cable?

Has anyone else come across this and how did they sort out the problem?

Any info would be great

Cheers ted

I had this last year (first time saying that), and it is the hand brake cable getting stuck when the plastic linning sheath becomes knackered.

Change it now, as it will just get stuck on fully soon, and then your in the poo.

Carry a hack saw with you and when it happens cut cable next to drum and it will release.

Andy

Watch out for where the clasp holds through the seat box (check from underneath with a torch, or take the driver's seat panel out) - if it has slipped the clasp, the lever will push the cable back, instead of into the sheath. Simple enough to fix or jerry-rig if not. Here's hoping - simpler/cheaper than a new cable ;)

In below, where cable (2) meets clip (19).

picns8.th.gif

pic2xk8.th.gif

Thanks very much everyone,

The cable does release but just springs back up enough to operate the switch, to get it to fully let go I have to pull the gater up and hold handbrake down & put my finger on the cable which is bent up (thus making the cable spring up!) and press down so cable goes into the sheath! Not a good operation to do if being followed by the police!! The wife also refuses to do this can't think why, I mean the grease/oil comes off after a while. as long as you don't forget and start picking your nose!! ( not a good look)

Cheers ted

I have this on my 200 TDi D90 at the moment, I have changed the cable but it is still the same so I guess its a issue within the drum, unless as Lansalot says the cable is moving back, but I think that bit is ok.

on yours it's most probably caused by the expander sticking, which means a drum remove, expander clean up & very lightly grease with copaslip.

I have been looking at Simons X-Brakes for ages now, but I am just getting a roll cage which is a little more important I think, will probably get one one by the end of the year.

Does the expander come off to clean it, are there any parts to come out of it?

Thanks for the diagram.

Mark.

the expander body can stay attached, but when the shoes are moved away, the rollers & slides might drop out the bottom, you'll have to push the top ones out.

I've still got my old expander, I'll fetch it from the garage & take a photo of all it's parts laid out in order so you can see which bit fits where.

Ok just done these.

the operating sleeve has a areas for the roller to move on & the body has grooves the rollers run in, the slders have a operating area that the roller moves along so the sliders can expand out to apply the brake shoes to the drum, note the slider working area is angled & has to be fitted the correct way otherwise it won't work correctly & you'll notice the working areas get fairly well worn, this expander is nearly 19 years old. sometimes the rollers 'pick up' on the groove sides & then can't run along the groove & jam.

hope that helps.

post-20-1230983954_thumb.jpg

post-20-1230983981_thumb.jpg

post-20-1230984007_thumb.jpg

post-20-1230984201_thumb.jpg

post-20-1230984225_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Quick question, I've got a 1987 110 with push rod type fitting on the expander. It's been sticking. A stripdown reveals the expander is worn, the pushrods are tired, the cable is sticking and the shoe adjuster cams are worn.

Somewhere in the garage I've got a complete backplate with shoes, drum and cable, from a later 300TDi Defender.

Question is, will this backplate and cable be a straight swap for my original setup? (Will the cable end fit the handbrake lever and is the prop bolt pattern the same) ?

Thanks for that Simon.

All comes down to cost - would love to fit an X brake but can't justify spending £200+ on one.

I met Si from X-Eng a few years ago. He was having trouble with a trailer wheel bearing in Scotch Corner services. A thoroughly decent chap.

Thanks for that Simon.

All comes down to cost - would love to fit an X brake but can't justify spending £200+ on one.

I met Si from X-Eng a few years ago. He was having trouble with a trailer wheel bearing in Scotch Corner services. A thoroughly decent chap.

When are you calling over to see me and our project ?????? Yeo can look at my X-Brake at the same time.....

• 10 years later...