Ground Anchors

ex_mod_90

Hi again.

I am looking at purchasing a ground anchor, and I'm after a bit of advice. Looking around it seems that a lot of competitors use the D4x4 anchor. I like this as its mega strong however it is also mega heavy, which is where the X-eng anchor wins. However how many competitors are using the X-eng anchor? I like Simon's kit, and indeed own quite alot of X-eng stuff, however I just wanted a bit of advice on what everyone is using and why. The only downside that I can see from the X-eng anchor is if the blade is bent, then the blade section cannot be replaced, where the Devon anchor has a detachable blade and so can easily be replaced in the event of damage. I am planning on competing this year at a novice level, but would like to only buy one.

Advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

Rich.

I have played about with a selection of ground anchors and even made a load for sale in my time

X-Eng:

Light and kin strong, and super well made - use a high grade blade - the steel is much

stronger than you'd think for it thickness .............and yep its light and VFM

The other good one is a Paypal, ........MUCH heavier, folds up neat design and digs in well

in all sorts of differing terrain.

Nearly all the others I have played with inc PRT don't really do the job in all sorts of ground conditions

when I made mine the market didn't have X-Eng ones. If there had of been them around when I was

making my own I would not have wasted my time - For my money X-Eng one would be the only one I'd buy

Nige

I am looking at purchasing a ground anchor, and I'm after a bit of advice. Looking around it seems that a lot of competitors use the D4x4 anchor. I like this as its mega strong however it is also mega heavy, which is where the X-eng anchor wins. However how many competitors are using the X-eng anchor? I like Simon's kit, and indeed own quite alot of X-eng stuff, however I just wanted a bit of advice on what everyone is using and why. The only downside that I can see from the X-eng anchor is if the blade is bent, then the blade section cannot be replaced, where the Devon anchor has a detachable blade and so can easily be replaced in the event of damage. I am planning on competing this year at a novice level, but would like to only buy one.

I use the X-Eng one. To be honest though it's pretty rare we seem to use a ground anchor in competition these days, maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year and a bit. I suppose it depends on the events you want to compete in and the terrain... We used to get a lot of challenges set out across more open terrain with open moorland and peat bogs, nowadays most of them seem to concentrate more on trying to thread vehicles through trees.

Having seen, used and destroyed D44 ones in competition I wouldn't say the D44 one is any stronger than an x-eng one but then I destroyed a D44 one with an Ibex 250S that weighs over 3 tonnes and my Defender weighs about 2.3 tonnes. As for the blade being replaceable on a D44 one, yes it is, but when the blade bent on ours it also twisted the arm so badly that neither were reusable.

My only "criticism" of the X-Eng one is that it's a real PITA to mount on the vehicle whereas the D44 one has mounting kits available that allow you to quickly mount/dismount the anchor when it is needed. If you want an anchor that's easy to store and mount then the D44 wins hands down over the X-Eng. The only problem with the D44 mount is that, if you do bend the arm, there's no way of securing it in the mount.

I competed in the Howlin Wolf series last year, we did all 8 rounds with an X-eng anchor which is still just fine. The round at Cowm Quarry was the most anchor intensive, there is only one tree on the site and that is growing in the wall of a derelict building! :unsure:

There are a lot of people competing with these anchors, as the year has gone on the design has evolved to allow less sympathetic use. :rolleyes:

Who says the blade can't be replaced? :ph34r:

Obviously this is the Competing forum but the space taken up by any non folding anchor is an issue if you have other stuff to carry in non competition vehicles, I like the X Eng one but can't for the life of my see where I could put it unless you want to have the front of your vehicle looking like something out of Battlestar Galactica :)

I have one of Nigel's Kittygrippers and even that (folding Pullpal copy) takes up quite a bit of space. I was halfheartedly intending to make a detachable mount which would bolt onto the rear door spare wheel carrier but now I don't have a roof rack to carry the spare wheel on, I wouldn't really gain much.

It was a difficult decision whether to make the X-anchor fold / blade removable - but in the end, it came down to weight.

To make the blade removable adds 5kg for the same strength. Folding adds about 8kg.

We figured that both Devon and Scorpion produce very good anchors which fold - but are heavy. There was little point in trying to compete with these. However, there was a market for something light enough to throw and comfortable to carry.

In terms of performance, they all behave very similarly with marginal strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Like all products, you just have to weigh up (no pun intended!) which compromises are most important.

Breaking in to the challenge scene was fairly slow initially. A ground anchor is so important and safety critical that you are most likely to trust what other people trust.

After the first couple of people used them in competition and other people saw them working, the growth in their use has been rapid - with now about 200 in use.

Si

Thanks to all who have replied, looks like my money will be heading to X-eng. I am sure my navigator will appreciate the difference in weight :D

Just the decision on where to mount it, the bonnet is a possibility as is across the rear of the tub.

Simon i'll be in touch!.

Cheers,

Rich.

i use the golddigger one and is very simular to the devon one. Also, interestingly the last challenge that I competed in found us trying to get the ground anchor in quite a soft bank. A friend of mine tried the section first with the x-eng anchor and could not get it to bite any where. I had a go with my golddigger anchor and in the same bank it dug in and pulled up a treat. I have found that the x-anchor doesn't dig in as well as the golddigger and that was not the only time..........

• 2 weeks later...

I've bent slightly two devon types of anchor, the bracing is too near the bend. So the X-Eng looks better.

One thing I liked about another anchor I've seen was it's interchangeable blade size for when the ground is soft and the anchor just plough's

Now Simon could you make an add-on large blade that sits in front of the normal blade (so you don't have to make the blade detachable and you only have the extra weight when you need the extra area)

Now Simon could you make an add-on large blade that sits in front of the normal blade (so you don't have to make the blade detachable and you only have the extra weight when you need the extra area)

Although that seems a good idea on the surface, the ideal blade angle also changes with size (or more accurately, drag) which complicates things a little. It may work fine though - so maybe worth a try!

Si

• 2 weeks later...
Obviously this is the Competing forum but the space taken up by any non folding anchor is an issue if you have other stuff to carry in non competition vehicles, I like the X Eng one but can't for the life of my see where I could put it unless you want to have the front of your vehicle looking like something out of Battlestar Galactica :)

I have one of Nigel's Kittygrippers and even that (folding Pullpal copy) takes up quite a bit of space. I was halfheartedly intending to make a detachable mount which would bolt onto the rear door spare wheel carrier but now I don't have a roof rack to carry the spare wheel on, I wouldn't really gain much.

Simon,

Sponsor us one for Croatia this year & were let all know how it went ;)

In the mean time i've found my Pull Pal excellent it has never failed once & the only time i have broken it was when i rolled the truck at Manby & bent the handle :P