Slightly OT: LED worklamps

Happyoldgit

Yes thanks. I've had one for a number of years.

I have two Defender reversing lights fitted to the side of my 110 Station Wagon. They give enough light to eat your meals from in the dark when camping.

All information on the internet.

Sorry I'm not allowed to put a link up as it is considered spam.

mike

Sorry I'm not allowed to put a link up as it is considered spam.

mike

Post the link Mike. If it is of benefit to users then it's not spam. I'll fight your corner if the Management :P gets stroppy!! (Which they wont as it is not spam!)

Mike if your talking about your thread on another LR forum, then this is not spamming. You dont gain anything of monetary value from sharing this information with other users, and I seriously doubt the management of THIS forum are so naive that they think that most of us are not already members of other forums.

If we are actually talking about another website that you have, where you might gain money-wise, then can you at least PM me the address, as I enjoy redaing all you vehicle prep threads.

Martin

Be careful with the rechargeable LED work lights. I bought two on my recent travels. The first one was great and charged up no problem. Was happy with it so bought a second one and no way would it accept charge. Unfortunately I could not return it to the store that I bought it from as I was on the move. So my advice is make sure that you can check that they are working properly before you travel.

Also got a 24 LED flexible strip light which plugs straghit into 12 volt supply. Some of the 12v rechargeable LED worklights do not allow using them whilst recharging them

Regards

Leeds

Brendon, I am referring to 12 volt fixed to vehicle lights - they are what I call a work light.

Hand held rechargeable ones are inspection lights to me.

I saw a very nice LED worklight at Donington show last year, until i saw the price ! £99

mike

ive bought a set off two of ebay for mounting as interior rear lights, but they work quite well and id mount them as worklights. although im now scared of adding a link and being shouted at! :(

actually i cant find the link:(i'll see if i can find invoice

I bought a strip of sticky-back flexy tape which has circuit board in it and surface mount LEDs on it - kind of like a single-strip version of these I think. I stuck them on the underside of the internal gutter above the rear door.

Very poor photograph of the LEDs turned on:

021020081266s.jpg

And plenty of light to read the small print by, taken on holiday in Cornwall:

021020081265s.jpg

From memory it was about £30 but well worth it for camping light and no jump-start worries next morning. It didn't seem to attract flies too badly either. To be honest, they've got a waterproof product at the site I've blatantly spammed :) and I'm thinking one each side would be good enough for a reversing light.

Having been getting ready fer the weekend roof swapping game, I have checked the truck cabs interior light

F me its like a mouses torch - is there a LED interior lamp then which is worth fitting ?

Nige

My local toy accessory shop has some LED replacement bullet-bulbs for the interior lamp, and I'm told that they are very bright although I can't confirm that since they are in the shop's 'bling' section (I got lost looking for gun-gum ok? :lol: ) so he only had 'Ice Blue' and similar colours in stock. He said that white bulbs are listed though.

Roger

LED lights. My experiences.....

Botswana 2004. Moremi camp site trying to cook steak on the open fire...There was a female hyena trying to steal the meat from the fire....I put my worklight on to diswade her from the food. This was a normal tractor H3 worklight and it soon flattened the aux battery. I have also noticed that fluorescent camping lights soon pulled the battry dow.

On arriving home I looked into LED lights.

At that time they were few and far between. The side tail lights only had forward/ readward facing LED's I discussed my problem with Robert at Ultraleds.... http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php and decided that the under car LED's fitted to a Defender reversing light might work. Aparently these are no longer available in white.... I fitted two of these at 25 quid each. They work. They give just enough light to see the ground at the back door and the inside of the door. This light will be getting changed this year.

I also found some 90 deg LED bulbs for the reversing lights from an American web site. The bulbs prove useless......

Earlier last year "tower" LED's became available Pt No 382 6CW....Similar to this one but a single center contact. I bought some and fitted them to Defender reversing lights and fitted two lights on the side of my Defender.

Again they are adequate {SP} They give enough light to eat a meal at the table while camping in the dark.

Now at Donington Show last year I looked at two LED worklights. Both were heavy...http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/www.simtekuk.co.uk/info.php?p=16&cat=95883 However the price put me off.

LED's are still being improved each day. Hella I know have some fog lights out for front bumper lights. Again the price is astranomical {SP}

Side mounted LED's here...http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=369337.40

Interior lights.

Again Souther Africa. I had to turn the interior lights off when parked with the doors open in the dark. This made it difficult for finding things even with a head torch.

I tried LED festoon bulbs. They didn't last long for some reason and I wasn't happy with the light output.

The white marker lamps from Vehicle Wiring Products IMO are over priced for what they are. However a forum member came up with something similar at a very good price. I fitted two to the cab area. two in the middle so Margaret could see into the fridge and two in the load bay. One where the normal interior light is fitted and one right at the back door so we could see into the open drawer.

This year I canged the arrangement slightly, I took one of the middle lights away from the center of the Defender and fitted it over the rear side door inside. This lets us see the tap on the water tank when filling the kettle in the dark.

These lights have been super. I have nothing but praise for them.

These can be seen here http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=369337.0

The downside of the reversing lights. Not enouigh projected light. For that I think you need the vfery expensive work light. As I said I was impressed with the light but not the price...

Now if you look at the picture of the lights on the side of my Defender you will notice four short black pieces. They are Velcro to hold a 12 long LED lamp. I bought wo at a show from a company near Leeds. Should I remember the company name I will post the link. These were the longest, biggest, LED that they sold. IMO it was too big......I should have bought the middle size. It gives good light but tends to blind you because of the way it's fitted.

HTH

ps Here we go... http://www.ardentdl.com/ for the long LED lamp

mike

Excellent info Mike - thanks very much. So the answer is that effective ones still carry a fairly hefty price tag.

I feel that what I'm using is a compromise....Between light and power/ battery consumption. Running a fridge takes quite a bit of power especially in hot countries. Light is needed earlier. In fact in Botswana and Namibia it's generally dark at 6.30 on a night. So light is required. I've found my set-up to be adequate... Not that bad either. It works for our camping......Two days not running the engine soon has the battery flat.

I certaily wouldn't recomend it for anywhere where you want a lot of flood lighting. Generally in those conditions I would expect the enging to be running.

So yes, pay the price...You only get what you pay for......

mike

So yes, pay the price...You only get what you pay for......

mike

Same goes for LED torches really... you get what you pay for.

There were some awesome LED lights on the 'new stuff' pages of LRO 3 or 4 months back, they were being sold by a swedish company but were made in the USA.

They were awesome, and available in upto 6ft lengths... prices were crazy though, about a grand for a really big one!

I've thought about doing something using Cree LED units (maybe torch lamps) to make a Landrover work light.. maybe a project for the new year.

The chap at ultraleds.co.uk is very helpfull...

Rather than drill the bodywork for the side fitted lights. I used a piece of angle and clamped the bracket for the light to the gutter

As in this picture

dsc00146rt5.th.jpg

This picture shews the light clamped to the gutter.. The wire just comes out at the top of the door frame. As the light is LED you can get away with 1mm wire.

dsc00147zh8.th.jpg

mike

A thought...

I've walked back from taking my daughter her car home. A Discovery before you ask.

Walking back I noticed the BMW headlights. The 5 1/2 " ones with the magnifying glass in front of the bulb.

Would it work if the halogen bulb was removed, and an LED tower bulb fitted in its place. You can get backs to fit those headlights. That way you might get the projection of light required.

mike