TD5 HC PU dragster

I'ld like to boast a bit with my TD5 (and share what can be done with a TD5...)

Much as I like my 4.6 V8 D1, this truck puts my V8 to shame...

The turbo packed up recently and my garage offered me the option of fitting (so I'm told) a Variable Geometry turbo as fitted to a Merc Vito but modified so that the original boost pressure actuator would still control the VG turbo. The non-programmable ECU was replaced with a programmable ECU and mapped with the engine map of a Disco 2 TD5 auto, European spec. It also has a "UNICHIP" piggyback ECU that was mapped in the very early days, before the original ECU had even been programmed with the correct injector codes (as delivered NEW by the agents).

Boost comes in at 1250rpm (0.5 bar at steady speed). This means that I can now drive the car like I drive my V8, changing gears at 1800 - 2000rpm.

max boost is now 1.4bar

max power at wheels: 96kW (assuming the braked dyno is reasonably correct; LR spec is 90Kw at the crank)

max torque at wheels: 340Nm (assuming the braked dyno is reasonably correct, LR spec is 300Nm at the crank)

max power remains almost flat up to 4000rpm whereas previously it dropped off quickly.

First comments I receive is normally: "Its gonna blow up...."

My view is that if that were to happen, it would have done so already. I recently towed a low-bed trailer (800Kg) with a Daimler Double-Six on top (2000Kg) over 500km with several mountain passes in between, trying to maintain 100Km/h on average.

The above has changed my rather negative view of the TD5 considerably.... I recon there is much more to be tapped from it.

Can you be more specific about the turbo used, do you know what model vito it was from?

All I know was that it was from a Mercedes Vito 115. The whole outside surface of the turbo has been sandblasted and all engravings thus destroyed so I'm afraid that is as much as I know.

I'ld like to boast a bit with my TD5 (and share what can be done with a TD5...)

Much as I like my 4.6 V8 D1, this truck puts my V8 to shame...

The turbo packed up recently and my garage offered me the option of fitting (so I'm told) a Variable Geometry turbo as fitted to a Merc Vito but modified so that the original boost pressure actuator would still control the VG turbo. The non-programmable ECU was replaced with a programmable ECU and mapped with the engine map of a Disco 2 TD5 auto, European spec. It also has a "UNICHIP" piggyback ECU that was mapped in the very early days, before the original ECU had even been programmed with the correct injector codes (as delivered NEW by the agents).

Boost comes in at 1250rpm (0.5 bar at steady speed). This means that I can now drive the car like I drive my V8, changing gears at 1800 - 2000rpm.

max boost is now 1.4bar

max power at wheels: 96kW (assuming the braked dyno is reasonably correct; LR spec is 90Kw at the crank)

max torque at wheels: 340Nm (assuming the braked dyno is reasonably correct, LR spec is 300Nm at the crank)

max power remains almost flat up to 4000rpm whereas previously it dropped off quickly.

First comments I receive is normally: "Its gonna blow up...."

My view is that if that were to happen, it would have done so already. I recently towed a low-bed trailer (800Kg) with a Daimler Double-Six on top (2000Kg) over 500km with several mountain passes in between, trying to maintain 100Km/h on average.

The above has changed my rather negative view of the TD5 considerably.... I recon there is much more to be tapped from it.

How many Kms have you done with the vehicle since the change, it is very interesting and i assume that all the other plumbing in the engine compartment remained the same.

may I enquire how much it cost for the work.?

How many Kms have you done with the vehicle since the change, it is very interesting and i assume that all the other plumbing in the engine compartment remained the same.

may I enquire how much it cost for the work.?

Less than 5000 I recon, 500 of this was towing an 800kg trailer down and then with a 2000kg car on top back 500km. Yes only the exhaust downpipe had to be changed somewhat to connect to the turbo exhaust.

I was charged ZAR20k (USD2000) for this. It included a "turbo timer" which makes the car idle for 30 secs after switching it off. Then they also had to add a mechanical coolant temp gauge as the new ECU map did not work well with the temp gauge. It was not cheap but the result is enjoyed EVERY time I step on the gas !!