Mounting of Hi-Lifts

minivin

Purely out of interest really, and that if anyone else is thinking of / will be mounting their's in the future it'll give a resource for people to look at how they can mount their Hi-Lift given various reasons (Hard Top, Soft Top, SWB, LWB et cetera).

Mine is of course on my Series III 109 Soft Top, having no hard top I didn't want to mount it on the outside as the depth of bodywork to provide the two mounting points is only about 18 Inches at best and I like my load spread over as long a distance as possible.

Also, As this thing is a few pennies I also concluded that mounting it on the inside will minimise people looking at my truck for all the goodies on the outside and figuring how much all the bits are worth before they nick it :huh:

So, trip to Otton's Land Rover's in Salisbury today (cheaper than on line and Ebay ;) ) and I got myself a 4XRAC to mount mine.

first thing I did was threw away the mild steel 1/4"x20TPI fasteners that came with it and dug-out some nice 1/4UNF stainless steel bolts, as well as stainless steel penny washers n.b. the 4XRAC does NOT come with washers!!!!! carp really.

Anyhoo, I wanted it as close back to the drop hitch, while not impeeding on anything so this is what I finally came to:

DSCF1841.jpg

The passenger seat metalwork does not go any lower than the nose of the Hi-Lift, so no nasty supprises when we hit some big bumps off road :o:blink::lol:

DSCF1844.jpg

Anyone else like to post-up their's?

My hi-lift lives on the right rear seatbox vertical face with the base at the rear, I made a 90degree steel plate with 2 pins to fit the holes in the base, bolted to the vertical face of the wheelbox just clear of the rear door holding arm, the rack is secured by the same hi-lift clasp as you've used, :D

Edited by western

Like western, verticle face of RH seat box but foot fwd tucked under the spare tyre. Simple bolt and wing nut to secure the top.

Rob, I'd have thought a shorter hi lift mounted on the gun racks might have been a good option for yours?

This is how I had it mounted on the original catflap. It has a padlock through the base plate while parked-up. I'm mounting it in the same fashion on the new catflap too. It's a bit out in the elements, but I used to spray it with WD40 occasionally, and I still have it and it's in good working order too.

med_gallery_2_28_153191.jpg

Les.

Mine is behind the front seats, held securely by the straps and bungees that used to hold the standard LR jack (now dumped in the garage). Less than a minute to get it out when it's needed, doesn't get in the way of anything in the back, and can't go jumping around anywhere when it gets bumpy. Free too :D

Richard

Guest diesel_jim

I've got the one in my 90 across the back of the loadbed (although i've got a false floor panel so it fits across that) but i've just fitted a $crapiron rear wheel carrier with the hi-lift mount on it, but before i actually for the jack to it, i'm getting a "sock" sewn up un the fabric that the wolf canvas's are made from, so i can keep my jack all squeeky clean! :lol:

in my 110, it just lives under the bit of dog carpet in the back. i've got some pukka mounts for it, but it's one of those "must do" jobs sometime.... B)

Mine:

http://usera.imagecave.com/junglerower/daan041.jpg

Under the floor, and use 2 waffles as your new antislip floor.

The waffles are secured by closing the door.

Daan

Dan, got any more info on your truck? Looks very different with the wheel boxes, rear shock turrets (coilovers?) and sunken stroage in the floor. I've got wheel boxes to fit on mine when the disco is back on the road but you've got plenty of other interresting ideas there.

I converted my 90 hard top to a truck cab the bulkhead did'nt have a wheel mounting bracket so I drilled through and bolted a pice of M12 Stainless Studding to it then the spare wheel to B/H and the highlift across tyre

All held in position with M12 studding

Steve

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy