Replacing ABS Sensors

rustymark

Hi all

Just thought that I would post this on here as a bit of a warning to anyone fitting replacement ABS sensors on their Freelander.

Having gone to extremes to get the little bleeder out on my X reg TD4 finally - I installed 1 x new sensor and sensor bush.

Pushed them home until (as the manual says) they contact the ring on the end of the driveshaft.

Reassembled - drove away and 3 amigos disappeared. UNTIL TONIGHT!

Thinking that the wheel I had been working on was a good place to start a multimeter across the replaced sensor soon showed it had packed up.

Extracted it - and because I had pushed it 'home' the end of the sensor had been cut away and knackered the sensor.

So...as a word of warning to anyone doing this repair - my tip would be.....remove the old sensor. Get a drill bit and MEASURE the depth to the reluctor ring. Mark this on the new sensor and press it into the hub until near the measured mark. Refit wiring connector and wheel and go for a drive. If the lights don't go out then wheel off and press in a bit more BUT DO NOT!!! press it all the way in till it will go no further - mine was that tight a fit the reluctor ring didn't push it back into the hub as it should to set the air gap.

Messing about maybe - better on the bank balance - without a doubt!

Oh!!! and to get your sensors out - they do just pull out - you may find it easier to use a 17mm open ended spanner and tap it onto the sensor behind the black plastic cap and lever slowly forward. When it starts to move put a 19mm spanner behind the 17mm and continue.

Anyway rambled on enough - hope it helps someone out there.