Diesel misfire after wading!

Rick the Spud

Hi all

After a spell of 4x4ing at Slindon and getting stuck in a massive puddle, the engine started misfiring so i switched off. after getting pulled out, started up again, the engine cleared the water in the exhaust, but it still misfired.

checked the airbox, no sign of mud or water, and the exhaust seems to be running clear, if a little smoky.

someone said something about a drain plug, which i had forgotten about, and said it might have got water in the timing and jumped a tooth.

any ideas?

Rick

if it locked up i would say maybe a bent con rod or even blown the head gasket , i had a maestro van with a perkins 2l prima engine do this and it done the head gasket on 1;3;4 but didnt do any other damage guess i was lucky hope this helps chris.

not sure where the fuel breather are - but found a fuel sediment thing which i cleaned out.

one of the pipes going into the lift pump looked a bit iffy so i replaced it with some clear hose, now i can see that as soon as i stop pumping, the fuel drains slowly back. i managed to get fuel pouring out the bleed valve on the filter, the return on the injector pump, and when cranking - spirting out the injectors. fuel still seems to drain back, but it might have always done that!

still won't start.

• 4 weeks later...

If the injector pump was retarded a tooth, then it would start if the engine was already warm, but not from cold. It would start on a tow, but would emit thick grey smoke from the exhaust, which would reduce a fair bit as the engine warmed up. The engine would remain gutless and need a lot of acceleration to get it to move.

A bent conrod would do a very similar thing :)

Les.

I'm not sure how water would affect the timing - might just be a coincidence. You can set the crank on it's timing mark through the wading plug hole, then remove the round cover opposite the Injector pump sprocket and see if a 9mm drill bit will slot into the locating hole through the sprocket. The crank turns twice for every one rotation of the cam and injector pump sprockets, so you may have turn the crank another revolution before they line up.

Les.

• 1 month later...

yay!

did the timing yesterday - and she started on the button!

pig of a job getting all the pulleys off, mainly bottom pulley, crankcase off, belt off, clean mud out of everywhere, line up timing marks on crank and cam pulleys, put 9.5mm drill bit in injector pulley at about 11 o'clock, new belt on, new tensioner on, test start, re tension, put it all back together.

also junked the aircon rad while we were there - stopped me cleaning out the front of the normal rad, and the aircon never worked anyway!

I have put a breather in my timing case cover instead of a wading plug. No need to remove or remember to put it in. I put a bit of a u-bend on it so any oil will show in the bend. I'm prepared to be told why I shouldn't have done this as soon as a grown up reads this?