Fuel Sender Problem

Hi all,

My landy has been sucking up air frequently now, after going over all the fuel pipes i am sure the problem is with the fuel sender on the tank. :angry:

I need to open it up and find out whats wrong with it, does anyone have the drawing of the thing and what it looks like inside?

post-13089-1236769763_thumb.jpg

Also how do i remove the thing, as i can see no screws holding it? :blink:

thanks.

Can't help on what it looks like inside on this particular model.

Obviously you need to make sure you don't have too much fuel in the tank before removing the sender if it's the type that goes in the side of the tank. To remove it, if you look closely there is a ring inside the collar fitted to the tank. You need to tap the inner ring anti clockwise and then you can pull it out when the "dents" in the ring line up with the teeth in the collar. There is a small lug (at the bottom of the ring in your pic) that you can use to tap it around with... just be gentle unless you have a spare ring first !

Can't help on what it looks like inside on this particular model.

Obviously you need to make sure you don't have too much fuel in the tank before removing the sender if it's the type that goes in the side of the tank. To remove it, if you look closely there is a ring inside the collar fitted to the tank. You need to tap the inner ring anti clockwise and then you can pull it out when the "dents" in the ring line up with the teeth in the collar. There is a small lug (at the bottom of the ring in your pic) that you can use to tap it around with... just be gentle unless you have a spare ring first !

Thank you Dave.

post-20-1236796373_thumb.jpg

White/Slate is low fuel wire

Green/Black is fuel gauge

Black is earth wire

1st photo Please note this is a sender for a 110.

the BLACK [front] sleeve is the fuel gauge connection

the RED [rear] sleeve is the low fuel light connection

2nd & 3rd photo's in inside

To remove use a hammer & drift, place the drift on one of the locking ring tabs & move the ring to the left [anticlockwise] it'll move about 1/3rd of a turn & should fall out, lift out the sender unit & then the rubber seal ring, use a new seal & locking ring when refit time comes & lightly grease or oil the seal.

post-20-1236796812_thumb.jpg

post-20-1236796840_thumb.jpg

Interesting! After rebuilding my 90 I couldnt make my sender to work so I ordered a new one. But the problem persisted. I can not get it to work no matter how I connect the cables. I have tried everything. It either shows full or empty never in between.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Interesting! After rebuilding my 90 I couldnt make my sender to work so I ordered a new one. But the problem persisted. I can not get it to work no matter how I connect the cables. I have tried everything. It either shows full or empty never in between.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Dodgy gauge?