defender heater & demist

i would like to get rid of the original defender heating unit on my 90 soon to be 103. reasons being:

*it takes up too much space - i want to improve service accessabiulity in the engine bay

*doesn't work well - it doesn't blow

*takes air from the wrong place - air intake is constantly full of muck

looking for a small unit that i could put into the passenger footwell, that heats with water and blows well.

any suggestions?

cheers

spec

Yeah

Fix your fan , i have had carp heaters in the past and it was the fan was nackered. When the fan is working they are very good . My heater on my 90 works brill when the car was in the Uk but amittedly have not used it since the car has been in brisbane

Get a snow cover for your air intake . That will stop water and carp going into your air intake .well_battered_snow_cover_001.jpg

And how much room do you need in the engine bay. Does not take up that much room . Belive me a heater in the foor well will be more of a pain in the back side. I have a 110 with Air con and that takes up most of the passneger footwell and a pain in the arse

this is a truck i only use for racing.

the original fan is quite new

the snow cover will not help since i do deep water crossings

traing to make the engine bay as possible + make the challenge wings so that they can be removed very quickly. this is for easy access und maintenance.

i saw a picture of a truck here on the forum where someone put in a heater in the footwell - looked very neat. not nearly as big as AC. can't remember what thread i found it though - maybe someone knows?

cheers

spec

this is a truck i only use for racing.

Oh your are worried about a heater in a racer

Oh Suck it up princess. you need to take a spoon full of concrete before you go to bed :)

Don't need a heater in a racer :rolleyes:

Or is it not a real racer but a toy . Next you will be asking how to fit Air con :)

As for demisting get rainex and a cloth and that will do the job

Oh your are worried about a heater in a racer

Oh Suck it up princess. you need to take a spoon full of concrete before you go to bed :)

Don't need a heater in a racer :rolleyes:

Or is it not a real racer but a toy . Next you will be asking how to fit Air con :)

very funny :blink:

demisting windows work a lot better with hot air than with cold

demisting becomes an issue after lots of water crossings / humid air / wet conditions in general

i do actually like to see something when i race - if that makes me a princess in your eyes then i sure hope I'll never happen to be in the same race as you.

if you don't like it - i suggest you read something else - loads of other topics around afaik

very funny :blink:

demisting windows work a lot better with hot air than with cold

demisting becomes an issue after lots of water crossings / humid air / wet conditions in general

i do actually like to see something when i race - if that makes me a princess in your eyes then i sure hope I'll never happen to be in the same race as you.

if you don't like it - i suggest you read something else - loads of other topics around afaik

Ok sorry if i hit a nerve , but did you not see the smilies

But if you go to halfords they do little 12v heaters that you could fit under the front windows that will clear them or a quick search on Ebay

Like this

carheaternew2.jpg

Ok sorry if i hit a nerve , but did you not see the smilies

But if you go to halfords they do little 12v heaters that you could fit under the front windows that will clear them or a quick search on Ebay

Like this

carheaternew2.jpg

i did see the smiles - thats why i wrote "very funny" <_<

good idea - those electric heaters. less hassle to fit and lots of space in the passenger footwell

and they will only demist the windows and not heat the cab - so no danger in being called a "princess" :P

Depends how many of them you get and fit :lol::lol::lol:

i was thinking about getting 5 - is that a problem? :P

would be nice to get something like those electric heaters in some HD version. maybe some military vehicles had something like that?

another idea would be a heated windscreen - anyone tried that?

cheers

spec

i was thinking about getting 5 - is that a problem? :P

would be nice to get something like those electric heaters in some HD version. maybe some military vehicles had something like that?

another idea would be a heated windscreen - anyone tried that?

cheers

spec

always thought about them and nearly bought one. Surposed to be good. But how they would do bouncing round a track could be interesting

But now the truck is in Brisbane don't need one as never really rains and my 110 has aircon and that demist really quickly

i had one out of the proper mini that was quite small and easy to plumb in. it was all in one complete unit and had two outlet pipes that could be easy to work to your needs. i tried them 12v thingys and they are as useless as a chocolate teapot!

i'd go with the "ditch the heater and use rain-ex".

i've used both rain-ex and the car polish method and my windscreen never steams up.

best polish i found for doing glass is that cheap stuff Mer wax. Little bit on a cloth and work it in then leave it for 5 minutes and dust it off. You can even breath directly onto the glass and it doesnt fog at all - i even use it on my glasses to stop them steaming up when i go to the pub in winter! Nowt worse than standing at the bar completely blind from steamed up glasses.

Hardly original, but my usual answer when a kit car person is asking for a basic heater/demist is rob a scrap mini for its unit. I have one in the Morgan as it is narrower and more effective than the original Smiths heater, ("fug stirrer"). They are also available new from various places including Europa Spares and most classic mini vendors.

Car Builder Solutions do two types of small heaters. A proper one and an electric demister as already mentioned but looks to fit your request for something a little more robust.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/heatac-95-c.asp

Steve

some excellent ideas - good stuff - thanks to everyone!

coming back to the heated windscreen - anyone tried that?

would that work without fans?

or maybe together with two of the demister unist from car builder solutions would maybe do a perfect job.

cheers

spec

Heated screen in my 110 workd better than the climate control etc. in the BMW !!

Neil

sounds interesting - do you think it would be able to cope with misty conditions in a racer with high humidity caused by water crossing etc. would be better than a heating cause it wouldn't heat up the cab which is mostly too hot in racing conditions anyhow.

cheers

spec