R380 Filler plug

Now the weather is a bit better, I am looking at replacing the fluids and thought I should start with the Gearbox before moving on to the Transfer box but have come up against a problem at the very first stage.

As far as I know... I am looking in the correct place for the drain and filler plug on my R380 Gearbox (reverse to the right and down) but the filler plug is not a T55 Torx (as mentioned elsewhere on this forum), but instead is a square shape.

Am I:

A ) Looking in completely the wrong place and am an idiot.

B ) Have an R380 gearbox with a 'rare' square plug.

C ) Have an R380 that has had the standard one replaced with a square one in the past.

Sorry the picture isn't great as the filler is partly in the shadow.

post-4939-1238927929_thumb.jpg

thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

At least I have put my mind at rest and I know what a gearbox looks like :-) Shame I bought the TX55 bit before looking. Thought I was being clever and getting everything in advance.

ATF (Meeting Dexron III) is good enough for this?

Thanks for the replies.

At least I have put my mind at rest and I know what a gearbox looks like :-) Shame I bought the TX55 bit before looking. Thought I was being clever and getting everything in advance.

ATF (Meeting Dexron III) is good enough for this?

NO!!

Land Rover no longer specify ATF for manual gearboxes and have not done so for years. they specify MTF manufactured for Land Rover by texaco.

It was found that ATF gave poor lubrication, protection and shiift quality in manual gearboxes, especially at higher temperatures

NO!!

Land Rover no longer specify ATF for manual gearboxes and have not done so for years. they specify MTF manufactured for Land Rover by texaco.

It was found that ATF gave poor lubrication, protection and shiift quality in manual gearboxes, especially at higher temperatures

I've had no problems running a R380 on ATF my previous R380 covered 10 years/ 200,000 + miles before it had a problem [nothing to do with the fluid] & I fully expect the current box to cover the same or more mileage.

changed to MTF94 in March 2000 see tech bulletin below, but it does not say that ATF cannot be used.

note the chassis number ranges.

post-20-1238943675_thumb.jpg

post-20-1238943709_thumb.jpg

NO!!

It's always worked perfectly well in R380s just that the MTF is synthetic and lasts better. I know somebody who changed from MTF back to ATF because they reckoned the shift was better with ATF. It seems to depend on the gearbox - mine is fine with MTF but I'd happily use either.

I bought a 5 litre bottle of MT94 as my gearbox deserves the best. And to be honest, after seeing diagrams of whats inside one of those things, anything I can do to save me ever having to open it up is worth its weight in gold.

Will have to do a half day of overtime just to pay for the oil though :o

My next questions if you don't mind...

Do I need a washer/gasket for the Transfer box drain plug and if so what is the part number

Where do I find my Transfer box model?

thanks.

Transfer box is a LT 230T, on the rear face below the fill/level plug maybe a sticker that says 1.410:1 that's the high range ratio. you should find a serial number stamped into the casing as well, it should start with a 22 & a letter & numbers, Ashcrofts website Transfer box section will tell you more.

worth replacing any drain plug washer/seal with new.

• 2 years later...

At risk of dredging up an old topic, does anyone know if it is possible to get one of these square plugs so I can swap it in for the irritating Torx bit?

I would think a plumbers merchant.

Or a scrappy that has some old series diffs lying about.