200 TDI into R/R classic

QTdarren

hi all hope you can help . i have just got a disco1 200 TDI , 5 spd man ,which is going into my R/R classic 2 door, question i have is , do the 6 gear box mount holes stay in the same place, i know the engine mounts are welded into a different possition, thanks all .

The discovery Gearbox crossmember bolts through the holes you'll be able to see which ones of your disco.

I think without looking to remember the disco crossmember front bolt goes through the back hole of where the range rover crossmember bolted. If that makes sense?

Good conversion you'll be well pleased, better than a 300tdi

I fitted the dashboard and wiring loom interior in mine as well and have since done 3 others

makes it almost new! and everything works!

Hi, if you have some pics of the discovery dash all fitted it would be good to see. Is the dash conversion quite straight forward? If need be pm me and i can always give you my email address.

Regards

Kenny.

Hi I'm not to good at uploading pics! but i'll have ago!

Was a easy conversion though as i was doing the whole engine swap at the time.

When i fitted the engine and box i took the range rover transmission tunnel out, then looking at the disco floor as it was the same i decided to fit the tunnel, drill out the spot weld and a bit of air chisel work and out it comes! cleaned it all up and bolted it in to the range rover, that sorts the centre console. For the dash just under the screen is a weedy panel that the dashboards sit on, in both disco and rangie, the difference between the 2 is the disco one has a few more holes in (air vents dash loom grab handle etc) so i chopped them both out and fitted the disco one in the range rover line it up weld it in, job done!

put the disco pedal box and steering column in and also the wiring panel on the passenger side. disco heater fits straight in run loom and bolt dash board in, just 2 brackets to make up for the bottom fixings. Every thing plugs in no problem i ran a bit of 7core wire and 2 core wire to the back soldered into the rear loom plug for the rear lights and fuel sender.

Everything else is standard disco.

Hi I'm not to good at uploading pics! but i'll have ago!

Was a easy conversion though as i was doing the whole engine swap at the time.

When i fitted the engine and box i took the range rover transmission tunnel out, then looking at the disco floor as it was the same i decided to fit the tunnel, drill out the spot weld and a bit of air chisel work and out it comes! cleaned it all up and bolted it in to the range rover, that sorts the centre console. For the dash just under the screen is a weedy panel that the dashboards sit on, in both disco and rangie, the difference between the 2 is the disco one has a few more holes in (air vents dash loom grab handle etc) so i chopped them both out and fitted the disco one in the range rover line it up weld it in, job done!

put the disco pedal box and steering column in and also the wiring panel on the passenger side. disco heater fits straight in run loom and bolt dash board in, just 2 brackets to make up for the bottom fixings. Every thing plugs in no problem i ran a bit of 7core wire and 2 core wire to the back soldered into the rear loom plug for the rear lights and fuel sender.

Everything else is standard disco.

Thanks for the info, if you get a chance at some point could you email me a few pics? Not in any hurry. Sound a really good plan and make over for Rangie

Cheers,

kmmorris@blueyonder.co.uk

I did this a few months ago, good conversion if a bit noisy. I also found that the lt77 input shaft was a different size, ended up using the disco gearbox, the gearlever sits in a diferent place.

Your correct that need to weld the disco engine mounts in place and almost certainly will need the modify the bulkhead so that the rocker cover can be removed again.

Mine is an 83 4 door and the engine sits very close to the older steering box, I used the disco gearbox xmember which went straight in and the range rover rubbers, lots of detail on the job here and on the net.