Looking at a 1994 RR Classic - Buying tips?

Chiraagshah

Hey guys,

I am looking at putting in an offer in on a 1994 RR Classic. Its the 5 door with a 5 speed manual and the 2.5 Turbo Diesel Engine with less than 100k on the clock. Cosmetically in very good shape (minor paint bubbling on the edge of the front bonnet) and what looks like surface rust on the rear bumper but nothing else that I have spotted. No leaks from sunroof and headlining is intact.

Would be grateful for some tips on what else to look for - I do not want to face any hefty repair bills in the near future - Any particular problem areas I need to look out for, particularly wrt to engine and rust issues?

Many thanks,

C

if poss get underneath and have a good poke around,look at the oil filter ,does it look newish?is it genuine?,small things like this can suggest a more caring previous owner.at the end of the day its 15 years old and most cars of this age are long gone.rust is the biggest killer as the motors are pretty good i love em to bits ,but better with v8 power!

I do not want to face any hefty repair bills in the near future

Hmm... depending on your definition of 'hefty', and how much work you'd be doing yourself, I'd have to question if a classic Range Rover is the right car for you! Don't get me wrong, they're wonderful vehicles - but if you're expecting it to be a cheap runabout you're probably deluding yourself! I would expect the diesel (200Tdi, I'd guess?) will be less hassle than a V8, though.

I'm with jonmlb748 though - I'd still bury my head in the sand and buy a V8 :D

boot floor will need attention on a car of that year (why they ever changed from alloy floors to steel is beyond me )

also the top corners of the inner roof at the front also go on the later ones but only visible when linings out

ive just spent a year rebuilding mine (sentimental value to me) they are kind of past it to be honest unless you are willing to do the work yourself or have a few good mates

check all the body mounts as they all seem to go and are abit of a pain to fix

• 1 month later...