Old topic

I have recently bought a '99 TD5 after my 300 was stolen off my driveway and never found, thieving scum. I was paying last year about £340 with no no claims bonus as have always driven company cars. My job classes me as a professional driver and I have been through driver advanced courses, so you can imagine my shock when it jumped to nearly £900. I have tried all the normal compare sites and am getting nowhere. I have tried Adrian Flux that put me through to an operator who was connecting my calls to other insurance companies??????? Done a quick search on the forum but not much in the way of contact details or anyone in a similar situation ( no no claims and a theft, non recovered in the first year ). So my plea is HELP. Any information in the way of where to get a cheaper quote will be greatfully received.

Darren

Academy Insurance. Used to be Snowball and have always been competitive for me on my off-roaders.

For the on-roaders (a Discovery 2 and a Seat Leon) we use Admiral on a multicar policy. They were the cheapest by miles and you get a discount for adding the second car...

Unfortunately, most insurance companies will see the theft/claim as a much higher risk than the not having an NCB.

Even people with protected NCB's will find that their premiums will jump massively after a claim.

• 2 weeks later...

After several hours of trawling through comparison sites and the world wide web I stumbled across these guys, which have got to be the cheapest insurers in the world :lol: . They will only insure modified vehicles, bigger wheels, snorkels ;) ;) etc etc, but have brought my policy down to £214 fully comp. This also includes club organised events and green laning, as long as non competitive. Well worth a good look.

Just got mine with Footman James for £460 3rd Part F & T, 6k miles a year with no no-claims bonus. I'm 20, for reference, and have three years' no-claims bonus on another vehicle.

I also get the greenlaning cover and non-competitive off-roading too, well chuffed :)

After reading this thread last night, I thought I'd ring around for a quote on mine as it's going to be back on the road very shortly. A bit of background, I've just turned 20, had my licence 2 years and 9 months, but have no no clamis bonus. (Been a named driver for the past 3 years). My '89 90 has a disco 200TDI, bucket seats and heavy duty spings. Below is a list of the companies I rang this moning and thier responses:

Footman James: Vehilce too modified.

Frank Pickles : Not modified enough, or to be used offroad frequently enough.

NFU Mutual: Licence held less than three years.

Stuart Collins: Age, I'm not 21.

I can kind of understand the last two, but the first two shock me. The modifications aren't drastic, or really dangerous. But yet not radical enough for Frank Pickles. Just seems strange to me. The guy I spoke to at Frank Pickles told me I needed to have a winch and rollcage etc to qualify for their insurance to cover me! My search will continue tomorrow, and I'll add the results if i get anywhere.

Mick.

Strange, as Footman James told me that my modifications were noted, but not relevant (snorkel, tyres, bull-bar etc). Maybe they don't like swapped engines.

It must be the engine swap combined with my age, that is a problem for them.

In addition to the above companies, here's todays pathetic attempts:

Ace: Under 21's have an engine cc limit of 2285 or similar.

Academy: Under 25.

Lancaster: Type of vehicle combined with my age and modifications.

Adrian Flux: Was on hold for 5 minutes and gave up. Will try again tomorrow.

What really annoyed me was Lancaster. By the time I got to them i was already annoyed, so i started with questions before they did. I asked what the likelyhood of a 20 year old insuring a modified Land Rover was, with their company. The reply was there should be no problems at all. After 20 minutes on the phone it turns out they cant help me at all, but can pass me onto their partner company. Why lie to me in the first place, and if you cant help me how is your partner company going to help?

No prizes for guessing what I'm doing tomorrow.

One totally miffed Mick.

i thought id add my recent issues.

im 21, and my ex mil n/a 90 was insured with cis till last night.

Basically, for some strange reason, the date of first registration was 1999 as thats when it was de mobbed. however it was built in 1986, and is a c plate.

you can imagine the fun "yes, i know you cant find that engine in 99, its an 86 spec" cis agreed to insure it as being registered in 86 and basically aknowledge the discrepency between my v5 and policy. but an insurance broker i spoke to informed me that even if they gave me a letter saying they understood the issue, they could still not pay out. so i cancelled last night.

any way, i rang dvla for advice and they gave me the british insurance brokers agency number and said they would be able to help.

dvla being usful!!

wondered if anyone else had this issue!

note-i actually ran it for the fisrt year as being registered in 1986 so hey-would have been interesting to have had a crash!

• 2 months later...

Just got a good price from Pickles - but then I am <ahem> a mature driver with a low value car that's parked on the driveway :)

I still I reckon that £130 for TPFT on a 3947cc V8 with mods is ok by any standards!

Their main concern appears to be that it is not my 'primary' car, but that does mean that if I get rid of the other car I have to tell them.

Just got a good price from Pickles - but then I am <ahem> a mature driver with a low value car that's parked on the driveway :)

I still I reckon that £130 for TPFT on a 3947cc V8 with mods is ok by any standards!

Their main concern appears to be that it is not my 'primary' car, but that does mean that if I get rid of the other car I have to tell them.

Agreed that sounds pretty cheap.

I just got Pickles to quote FC for my Ninety, 3.9, LPG, auto plus other minor mods. It seems they only like to insure modded 4x4s rather than std models. I got the impression they liked you to have another car as a primary, confused. They were far from the cheapest.

The NFU have come up trumps again, the engine, LPG and gearbox mods were of no concern to them. The truck is my daily driver. I reduced the cover to 2 named drivers, FC, unlimited mileage. Previously was any over 25 but just TPFT. The premium actually dropped slightly to around £280.

Oh, and the woman on the phone was very helpful, and sounded very nice too :ph34r: