Cooking Food on a 300TDi Manifold

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww glad i seem to have missed that one!!

Jon

Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall ate placenta in a paté, but I think placenta munching is a fairly common thing amongst womenfolk of a certain stripe: http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/placenta-recipes.htm

Back to topic, tinfoil seems to be a common cooking mechanism, but no one has come up with a suitable pot. Maybe when I have replaced by knackered turbo, I will try and come up with one.

Guest noggy

not wanting to sound like a woman... but cant you get somekind of metal poisoning from cooking in tinfoil....

perhaps a food grade stainless steel box...

not wanting to sound like a woman... but cant you get somekind of metal poisoning from cooking in tinfoil....

perhaps a food grade stainless steel box...

I think you may be correct. Cooking in aluminium vessels is supposedly linked to Parkinsons Disease, or is that Alzeimers ? I can't remember.

Bill.

Do it all the time on my 2.5NA, yesterday had chicken breast wrapped in parma ham with some butter and herbs, 25mins doing 55mph on a motorway whilst placed on the exhaust manifold coming back from Silverstone. Had braised steak in gravy on the way down. Get some odd looks though at the services fishing out tinfoil from the engine bay though.

Will post some pics up once we've gone through all 1500 of them from the weekend.

3 layers of tin foil, well wrapped to keep all the juices/moisture inside. Done sausages, bacon, prawns, chicken, beef, tins of beans etc.

300tdi isnt so good though, the exhaust manifold isnt as big/flat as a NA and the rocker cover isnt warm enough. A TD5 looks good though with the turbo heat shield.

What, the banana incident? :lol: Many years ago my friend and I did a similar thing with a potato up his mum's Morris Minor exhaust. A few seconds after it started the potato shot out and hit their metal garage door, which gave his mum a huge shock.

Mike

:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Rusty Nissan: that looks good...from what i read about cooking via the manifold...you must be a pro.

Judging the cooking times seems difficult. Also you mentioned the 300TDI.....what about mounting it on the EGR blanking plate ?

Also....in my search i found a product that guys in the states use....originally made for snowmobiles.

FYI: Im not affiliated with the company....heck, im originally from Florida and now Jerusalem....not too much snowmobiling around here. :lol:

http://www.flat-o.com/snowmobile/hotdogger.htm

post-11303-1248911441_thumb.jpg

post-11303-1248911453_thumb.jpg

Here is another one, the MUFFPOT:

http://www.westernatvs.com/browseproducts/...OOD-COOKER.html

post-11303-1248912624_thumb.jpg

seems simple enough to make though...maybe it will give someone a few ideas.

hope it helps.

rob

Rusty Nissan: that looks good...from what i read about cooking via the manifold...you must be a pro.

Judging the cooking times seems difficult. Also you mentioned the 300TDI.....what about mounting it on the EGR blanking plate ?

rob

Judging cooking times is difficult and just down to trial and error, its my wife does all the manifold cooking, dosnt look good though with an apperently broken down Landrover with the bonnet up and my Mr's rooting around in the engine bay whilst Im still sat in the drivers seat!

Dont know much about the 300tdi for cooking-only had a quick look at a friends Defender who wouldnt beleive you could cook on an engine and had us pointing out on his where you could put food.

He soon changed his mind the next time I saw him-did him some bacon on the manifold and lightly toasted/warmed a bread roll on the rocker cover

its my wife does all the manifold cooking, dosnt look good though with an apperently broken down Landrover with the bonnet up and my Mr's rooting around in the engine bay whilst Im still sat in the drivers seat!

Thats hilarious ! :D

You know....maybe all those people that say LRs are not reliable...think that way because

they see Land Rovers on the side of the road with the bonnet up....thinking its broken down.

while in fact.....they are checking the steaks and potatoes !

take care,

rob