Judgement on this chrome needed

:o I need words in writing to tell me not to put this chrome back-!! I am tempted though but the gurus are always right :huh::huh: B)

Mine looks just like that and will be replaced once the rear crossmember is done and i've saved up a little bit more..........

I have 4 of them here I have decided to scrap in FAR better condition than that! My thinking was that so long as its off the car I might as well rebuild with new. BUT seems my local supplier can't get OEM ones at the moment (though it was a couple of months since I asked last). Not prepared to use Britpart so will keep waiting.

Scrap.

Any pitting or damage to the metal surface simply wears away the seals, and also

means the seals don't have a nice flat surface to seal against.

= leaks.

It will only get worse. Paddocks sell a complete kit for around £65, so not the

end of the world budget wise.

i dont see why people are so averse to repairing them. You've already got them off and cleaned, so the longest part of the job is already done.

how long would it take to attack the swivel with a wire brush to get the rust out of the pits, wet and dry it all over to form a good key and then coat with jelonite or some other rust inhibitor and get a rattle can of primer and plasticoat/epoxy smooth applied?

a decent thick paint will fill in those holes fine after 3 or 4 coats. If the pitting it really deep, you can also put a thin smear of chemical metal in the pits before using the wet and dry to fill them in and get a smooth surface to paint.

When my swivels go nasty, i'll be doing the same. I've also repaired leaky hub oil seal faces on my stub axles in a simillar way. Both my rear stubs had big grooves on the hub seal face so i sanded them flat and put a smidge of liquid metal on them and sanded them smooth. Carefully applied some jelonite and sealed it with some plasticote anti rust gloss. Perfectly smooth surface the whole way round and so far no leaks from the hubs.

the painting/epoxy way of doing it is only going to be a tempary measure you only need to get a stone chip from the car in front and in a few months time your back to the same problem, you will also not be able to get the surface smooth enough for the seal to do a good job on by covering it in plasticoat/epoxy.

another thing i've just noticed is that you have some groves in the centre of it did a CV joint go an you dove home or has it been catching/bottoming out on something? steering locks need adjusting?

dave

another thing i've just noticed is that you have some groves in the centre of it did a CV joint go an you dove home or has it been catching/bottoming out on something? steering locks need adjusting?

dave

Hi Dave

Topp swivel got mashed up! In my earlier days as a defender owner, I did not make efforts at diagnosing faults early enough and this made things worse. Chrome seal leaked and I guess water went in. I am rebuilding the chrome with new upper and lower swivel bearings and pins. New chrome seals fresh one shot grease, new hub bearings and fresh bearing grease.(Endless lists but all is ready) I'd check for steering stop as you suggest when work is finished.

Rgds

Dan

post-7610-1245648361_thumb.jpg