Stiff steering

After a recent green laning expedition my Disco developed stiff (heavy) steering with some tight (er) spots causing lack of self centring.

I removed the damper (no difference) the I removed both wheels and now have the thing on blocks at the front.

Having removed the drop arm ball joint the stiffness was still there. So I backed off the adjustment on the top of the box, no difference. The shaft from the box to the steering column (the one with UJs on it) is free and well greased.

Having decided that the fault must lie in the box itself I have removed it (crikey what a lot of oil) strange thing is, it feels OK now its off the vehicle, I can turn it easily with a pair of mole grips without any sign of stiffness or tight spots.

I have a second hand box on the way so I will fit that and see.

Any ideas anyone?

Geoff

After a recent green laning expedition my Disco developed stiff (heavy) steering with some tight (er) spots causing lack of self centring.

I removed the damper (no difference) the I removed both wheels and now have the thing on blocks at the front.

Having removed the drop arm ball joint the stiffness was still there. So I backed off the adjustment on the top of the box, no difference. The shaft from the box to the steering column (the one with UJs on it) is free and well greased.

Having decided that the fault must lie in the box itself I have removed it (crikey what a lot of oil) strange thing is, it feels OK now its off the vehicle, I can turn it easily with a pair of mole grips without any sign of stiffness or tight spots.

I have a second hand box on the way so I will fit that and see.

Any ideas anyone?

Geoff

Just changed the pump and PAS fluid in my and the symptoms sound similar to an air lock or slipping belt.

Just changed the pump and PAS fluid in my and the symptoms sound similar to an air lock or slipping belt.

OK Jonathon, thanks for the feedback, my first thought was a slipping belt (tightened), also bled the box.

But even with the wheels off the ground, the engine dead and the drop arm ball joint disconnected it was still stiff, not sure how the "power assist" works though so it might be something to do with that.

Geoff

most likely the swivel joints. they need adjusting. insert or remove the shims. to get a 6lb loading/pulling force on them. use an old fishermans balance to measure it.

I'd be looking at the U/Js on the shaft up to the steering column.

Sounds more like one of the U/Js has a dry joint in it. This would cause the steering to feel stiff & notchy but rather than grease try a good soaking with light oil and see what happens. ;)

If a swivel bearing needs adjusting then you'ld be getting a vibration as you ran over a bump in the road, never known it to cause stiff steering but it's easy to check, just put the wheels back on and grab the wheel at the 6 & 12 o'clock and try to move it. If you feel movement then it's your swivel bearing pre-load.

Now I can answer my own query, it might help others......

The universal joints steering shaft was seized, despite being heavily greased, the damper had a large dent in it, and I replaced the steering box seals for good measure.

That UJ and shaft was the main problem, have you checked yours lately? You have to get it off as I found out.

Its like a racing car now :-)

Geoff

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy