Brake pipe bending tools

mickeyw

Hi All,

I have been looking for a very long time for a tool that will bend a nice small radius in brake pipe, a similar size rad to that used by most motor manufacturers.

Most I have seen like this one or this produce a fairly large rad, much larger than I want to achieve.

A friend in the trade has a nice compact hand bender made by Record that can do the kind of rads I want. It's years old and will last for ever, but I've not managed to find anything quite like it myself.

I know it's possible to bend copper pipe with ones fingers but I would rather make a neater job than that. Also less chance of flattening the pipe too.

What do you all use?

Cheers,

This is the kind of tool I would like, nice small bend radius. Can't seem to find where to buy one though. May be enough info in this picture to make one :blink:

go to your plumbers merchants i got mine from there.

swanny

• 1 month later...

This is the kind of tool I would like, nice small bend radius. Can't seem to find where to buy one though. May be enough info in this picture to make one :blink:

And make one is what I have done. Tools needed - hacksaw, drill, file and a lathe :D

post-7124-125308383877_thumb.jpgpost-7124-125308384189_thumb.jpgpost-7124-125308384452_thumb.jpgpost-7124-125308384735_thumb.jpgpost-7124-125308385029_thumb.jpgpost-7124-125308385324_thumb.jpg

Drawings are now available if anyone else wants to make their own.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys love the site :D

First post so go easy please LOL

I was looking into buyin some pipe benders a couple of months back as my other halfs car needed the brake lines replacing on the back (common problem with Mondeos :angry: ) and came across this site (Linky !!!) however on the Mondy the lines are 3/16 diameter so in the end decided to fill the repair section with water and freeze over night before bending the following day and bending the pipe around items I had in my shed using clamps (right PITA :D )

70061.jpg

Not sure if the link is of any use to you guys as I'm not sure what size the brake lines are on Landies!!!

Don't want to sound too cheaky being my first post and all but mickeyw would it be possible If I could get some details off of you on how to construct the one you made. I'm liking that a lot and as mentioned earlier in the tread would be ideal for making the smaller bend radius's.

Many thanks in advance

Damo

Hey guys love the site :D

First post so go easy please LOL

I was looking into buyin some pipe benders a couple of months back as my other halfs car needed the brake lines replacing on the back (common problem with Mondeos :angry: ) and came across this site (Linky !!!) however on the Mondy the lines are 3/16 diameter so in the end decided to fill the repair section with water and freeze over night before bending the following day and bending the pipe around items I had in my shed using clamps (right PITA :D )

70061.jpg

Not sure if the link is of any use to you guys as I'm not sure what size the brake lines are on Landies!!!

Don't want to sound too cheaky being my first post and all but mickeyw would it be possible If I could get some details off of you on how to construct the one you made. I'm liking that a lot and as mentioned earlier in the tread would be ideal for making the smaller bend radius's.

Many thanks in advance

Damo

Hi Damo,

Those are some nifty looking tube benders, shame they don't do them in 3/16" (that's Landy size). I'd pay that sort of £ for them.

You can bend copper brake pipe with your fingers if you're careful, no need for frozen water in there, I'm just a bit of a fuss pot about making nice bends. Make sure you have removed ALL traces of water before filling with brake fluid, the two should NOT be mixed.

However if you'd like to have a go at making a bender like mine I'll try and post some drawings in PDF tomorrow. Just bear in mind that it won't be a 5 minute job to make and you'll need some engineering resources to hand, or a mate who has.

HTH

Good advice there mickey.

After I'd completed all the shaping of the pipe I let it thaw and blasted it out with an air line, then stuck it on the radiator to make sure it was completley dry. (Your absolutly right oil and water DON'T mix ;) )

With regards to the PDF's, that would be awsome :D I'm an aircraft engineer by trade so know a few people in a few machine shops that can give me a hand if I get stuck :lol:

I am very gratefull for your kind assistance.

Best regards

Damo :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As promised, albeit later than planned, some drawings of my creation.

Handle1.PDF

Latch.PDF

SwingHandle.PDF

Wheel.PDF

Have fun.

Mikey!! You're a gentleman and a scholar!! Many thanks for the plans on how to fab the pipe benders!!

I appologise for the late reply have been uber busy.

Many, many thanks once again and I look forward to starting this project :)

Kind regards,

Damo ;)