EDIS wiring SNAFU

Quagmire

Guys,

Been wiring for Megajolt using the EDIS diagram on the autosportlabs site here:

Installation guide

I fear i may have fooed up my EDIS wiring and have it all arse about face. I believe that the diagram shows the plug looking down from above into the rear of it (where pigtail exits)...

On the diagram pin 1 is shown at the top, near the offset locating notch in the plug. However after connecting it all up today and getting no spark, i have realised that my module has Pin 1 labelled as being at the end of the plug with the centered notch.

So have i goofed? :blink:

My cry for help on autosportlabs here

Pin 1 for an EDIS8 is at the end with the registration notch in the centre.

You also need to be careful how you connect your coil packs. You will position the coils on your car and choose the best route for the HT cables. What you end up with will likely not match the wiring diagrams commonly found in the MS manuals and in our MS threads.

Steve

ETA.....If you look in the MS Manual for EDIS (http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_EDIS.htm) you will see that each of the EDIS units (4-6-8 cylinder) have the same number of pins but different Register configuration so you can't plug the wrong module into your car. The installation guide you have shows all of them with the same connector moulding....wrong.

My word yes! The MJ diagram is incorrect and I never realised :o

When I did mine I relied on the fact that Pin 1 is clearly marked on the EDIS unit, and also it was obvious from the various wires that were still attached to the plug what they did.. :)

Hopefully you won't have fried anything - I'll keep my fingers crossed! Tell Brent - maybe you'll get a freebie ;)

My word yes! The MJ diagram is incorrect and I never realised :o

When I did mine I relied on the fact that Pin 1 is clearly marked on the EDIS unit, and also it was obvious from the various wires that were still attached to the plug what they did.. :)

Hopefully you won't have fried anything - I'll keep my fingers crossed! Tell Brent - maybe you'll get a freebie ;)

All my lovely soldering and heatshrinking down the pan eh? I stupidly just unplugged the EDIS connector, and then left the module in its bubble wrap until i had finished wiring, referring only to the MJ diagram.

To make matters worse, as i went some of the colours would have made more sense if they were reversed but i pushed on thinking "hundreds of people must have used this diagram with no problems..."

What a dumbass :(

All my lovely soldering and heatshrinking down the pan eh?

Ahhh well you see - I had rather less confidence and so connected mine 'temporarily' through a lo-ong castle connector. That was two years ago and it's still there ;)

What a dumbass :(

You shouldn't put yourself down like that - blame somebody else! (I do ;) )

Others must have discovered this and nobody has said anything on the Autosport Labs site to my knowledge - and I am sure that the diagram will be updated once BrentP realises the problem.

Anyway - cut all the wires, use a 'temporary' castle connector and you should have it sorted and running in about 1/2 an hour :) :) :) :)

Got a video camera? Film it's first start on Megajolt and put it on YouTube - I love to see 'first start' videos :)

OK, good news- i got the thing rewired yesterday and hooked up a coilpack with 4 plugs in it (i still need to make a coilpack mount).

It worked! Lovely big crackly sparks. :D

Seems you can therefore connect up an EDIS module wrong and not fry it. Must try harder next time :ph34r: