So what have I bought?

Ruuman

Hi all,

so I've won this lot on ebay: winch

originally I just wanted the PTO drive to power my milemarker, but I'm now thinking front and rear hydro winches with a PTO drive will be very nice.

So for starters any idea what type of winch it is and how good it is? also anyone have this setup, any comments?

Cheers

Ruu

post-3730-1250638556_thumb.jpg

post-3730-125063858704_thumb.jpg

post-3730-125063859719_thumb.jpg

post-3730-12506386037_thumb.jpg

It looks like a Fairey mechanical PTO driven drum winch, converted to hydro operation (just like wot mine is going to be).

Try looking for a model number like 525 or a serial number, and Superwinch in Tavistock should be able to tell you more. There also *should* be a maker's plate giving the maximum capacity. These things will pull forever, albeit a bit slowly :huh:

That's a Fairey 525, the fore-runner of the H14. I have one kicking about somewhere :unsure:

They will pull a house down and have about 3 moving parts, lovely winch. The hydro may well run slowly as they don't spec very high capacity pumps or fast motors but that could be solved with a bit of rummaging in ye local hydro shoppe.

I'm (eventually) fitting exactly the same setup, but in H14 flavour, to the 109.

Oh and the full manual for it is here. :P

ahh good stuff, thanks guys. cheers for the manual fridge, very helpful.

So this is sounding like the 525 will be my rear winch then. In the manual it says to operate the PTO witht he transfer box in netural, I'm assuming I don't have to do this so I can still drive assist if I want. obviously I can't do this in reverse, but is forward drive assist ok?

Also the hydro gubbins included all look nice quality, is there any parts I should consider changing or inspect closely before fitment.

many thanks again. I'm hoping to pickup tonight so will get some better shots then.

Ruu

hum, don't think my mighty 172k smoking 200tdi will be able to achieve 4th gear drive at just over tick over!! :(

I suppose 2nd gear and bouncing off the govenor isn't going to be great either. Oh well I guess it's a case of getting it on there and seeing whats what.

thanks again