warn 8074 infromation

Mark

I picked up a funny looking winch at sodbury today - looks a lot like an 8274, but I am assured that it is an 8074. Does any body have any more information on them - a service manual or the like?

Any copying costs etc gladly reimbursed.

Thanks

Mark

It would seem the 8074 is a Belview

bellveiw2.jpg

Here is a warn 8074 which was a dealer option in the United States. This is refered to as the belview model because it was developed by the belview winch company which was later purchased by warn.

From here

I picked up a funny looking winch at sodbury today - looks a lot like an 8274, but I am assured that it is an 8074. Does any body have any more information on them - a service manual or the like?

Any copying costs etc gladly reimbursed.

Thanks

Mark

Having re-built five belleviews now, what do you want to know?

Well, what I appear to have is an 8074 with the original brake replaced by an 8274 version.

I don't know if it is a belleview, since from what I can tell these were cable operated (?) this one definatly has solenoids on the front as per the 8274. It also has a freespool lever, which some sources say the 8074 dosn't have ???

In truth, I don't really know what I am after... I have founds some scans of the documentation for the winch, and I geuss after I strip it down tomorrow I will have a better idea of what I need to know!

I will post some pictures up too...

Cheers

Mark

Well, what I appear to have is an 8074 with the original brake replaced by an 8274 version.

I don't know if it is a belleview, since from what I can tell these were cable operated (?) this one definatly has solenoids on the front as per the 8274. It also has a freespool lever, which some sources say the 8074 dosn't have ???

In truth, I don't really know what I am after... I have founds some scans of the documentation for the winch, and I geuss after I strip it down tomorrow I will have a better idea of what I need to know!

I will post some pictures up too...

Cheers

Mark

I've got a pair on the G, both had the 8274 type brake. Allthough it operates the same, it is very different to the 8274. Both have the free spool as well.

From what i've read, when they were originally built and sold as belleviews they had a band brake and were controled by cables. Then when warn took over they got the ratchet and pawl brake and solenoids.

Wait till you see inside one, loads better than an 8274. everything is on roller bearings, the gears don't flop around and it's got oil filler and level bungs.

ps. if for any reason you want to get rid, i'd like to be first in the queue.

I have to admit that I was really after a husky as I am pretty sure that is what my winch bumper was designed for. In order to mount the warn I will have to modify the bumper a bit, so if anyone has a 12V husky they want to swap....:)

Going to go and do some more investigation of the 8074 now...

Cheers

Mark

I have to admit that I was really after a husky as I am pretty sure that is what my winch bumper was designed for. In order to mount the warn I will have to modify the bumper a bit, so if anyone has a 12V husky they want to swap....:)

Going to go and do some more investigation of the 8074 now...

Cheers

Mark

hi mark,

could yo pm me with any information you find out please? i might be buying one of these but don't know whether i should or not!

any info much appreciated

Ok, today I started off with what looked like a winch, and a few unknowns :

winch1s.jpg

and ended the day with a big pile of gears, some aluminium castings and a whole loead more questions!!

Firstly, here is the 8274 brake that has been grafted on:

winchbrakeend2s.jpg

and although it does't look pretty it seems pretty effective. There is still some friction material left on both sides of the brake disk, although they do seem a bit oily. The freespool lever is broken, but is repairble. It has a fabricated drum support, which I will have to remake, since I am not usinf this moun and fairlead. I think the new one will have a decent bearing for the mainshaft iin rather than the oiled bush that is there now.

winchendplate1s.jpg

The gears on the inside seem to be in pretty good condition and the bearings seem OK:

internals1s.jpg

internals2s.jpg

The casing itself appears to have some minor cracks in which I suspect is from where the bearings have been replaced in the past:

insidecasings.jpg

and one major crack, again from a failed attempt to replace a bearing. There appears to be a drill bit in the root of this crack!

crack1s.jpg

So, can these cracks be welded? I Do they need to be? Only one of them goes all the way through, and I guess sealling it up will reduce oil leaks...

As I said, the bearings seem OK, but should I replace them while I have the chance? They seem a bit of a paint to deal with, mostly seem ok but I don't plan to have it stripped this far doen again for a while.

I want to check is if the body of the 8074 is exactly the same dimensionally as the 8274? I want to machine up a new end support and I can find 8274 drawings, but not the ones for this winch. If they are the same i will use the 8274 dimensions! However, if anyone has a drum sopprot kicking around they don't want, let me know!

Lastly, the motor seems to be shot. I cannot get any movement out of it at all, so I guess that will go on the shopping list too.

If have any answers of stray bits of aluminium casting that go with mine, then I would be most appreciative. :D

Cheers

Mark

The brake on yours is the same as the brakes that were on both of mine, they aren't the same as an 8274, the ratchet is a lot more course. And the brake pads are a different size, it shouldn't matter about the oil contaminated friction material As mine are sintered (doesn't absorb oil) and should just degrease.

If you get a new motor you'll have to buy a 8274 top drive gear, as yours drives by a key and most "new" motors are splined.

The end suport allthough similar to an 8274 is different, 1 1/4" bore bush in the 8074 and somewhere around the 3" mark for a 8274.

I am urrently fabricating a new end suport for my front winch as it was broken, give me a few days and i'll post it up.