Digital OS Maps and GPS

DrRob

I'd like to add that the small PDA screen meant for me that the 1:25,000 maps were almost useless for walking and completely useless for driving. You either zoom in to use the detail and have no context, or get the context and you might as well get Tomtom with the voice directions too. I ended up with a £200 10" screen tablet for navigation TC1100 off fleaway(1:25,000 works briliiantly on it off road and navigator 9 for on-road directions). I still have the old PDA with Tomtom as a backup, but mainly use it with the GPS as a digital compass.

For what it is worth.

Regards

Richard

As Richard said above, the small PDA screen is not good for route planning as you can only see a short (couple of kms) distance around your position. I use mine as a back-up to a paper OS map to help anticipate junctions and to reliably confirm ground position - knowing when you are on a BOAT rather than accidentally taking a sheep track, MOD track, footpath etc.. In some areas, BOATs and UCRs can be invisible on the ground due to lack of use, in those circumstances a GPS with OS display can be invaluable for making sure you are on track and for proving it to, and placating, an angry looking policeman in a 110. ;)

Navigation by PDA is quite possible if you take time on a laptop or desktop prior to making a trip to plan the route, make an overlay and transfer that to the PDA. Then you see the route on the PDA screen and can navigate reasonably by that.

Chris

those very cheap 8-10" netbooks are ideal for this type of thing. Alot are even doing solid state hard drives too so bouncing around wont cause them to break as easily.

very low power usage and quite compact with jsut enough processor power to run most apps. Simple gps dongle and away you go.

here's a belter - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Asus-Eee-PC900-8-9-Laptop-16GB-SSD-1GB-Ram-XP-Home_W0QQitemZ230374730149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item35a36769a5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

£145

As Richard said above, the small PDA screen is not good for route planning as you can only see a short (couple of kms) distance around your position. I use mine as a back-up to a paper OS map to help anticipate junctions and to reliably confirm ground position - knowing when you are on a BOAT rather than accidentally taking a sheep track, MOD track, footpath etc.. In some areas, BOATs and UCRs can be invisible on the ground due to lack of use, in those circumstances a GPS with OS display can be invaluable for making sure you are on track and for proving it to, and placating, an angry looking policeman in a 110. ;)

Navigation by PDA is quite possible if you take time on a laptop or desktop prior to making a trip to plan the route, make an overlay and transfer that to the PDA. Then you see the route on the PDA screen and can navigate reasonably by that.

Chris

Thanks! That's exactly what I want it for....to confirm I'm on the right track (sorry about the pun!). Would use the paper map to plan routes and the SATMAP to confirm I'm on the right BOAT/UCR....

I'll report back if I buy one.....I don't want to lug a laptop around in a Rangie. Do that all week!!!

Ta

Rob

Ive just bought a Panasonic CF-18 toughbook. They are little old now and fairly expensive for the spec but they are ideal for in the truck being only a 10" screen. The CF-18 is a tablet with a touch screen (that works with just your finger if you get the right model) and can take one hell of a beating. It also runs windows XP professional edition so can run all your mapping and sat nav software at the same time. When you are finished for the day just close the lid and chuck it in the back, literally :lol: