How to repair Discovery electric seat switches

MrKev

I cannot see a walkthrough on here, so I've taken a few snaps as I fixed my Disco 1 electric seat movement switches. Hopefully it will help someone and save them a few bob.

1. Replacement switch modulea are around £130 list.

2. Replacement switch eustachions are around £13, so if the clips that hold it in place are broken, then this is worth doing. A previous owner of mine had made a bit of a hash of a job using some nasty gaffa tape and it hadn't really worked either.

Right, down to business. The switch contacts 'go black' and stop working. The reason why is not for this forum, so look up "pore corrosion" if you want to know more.

If you need to remove the module from the console, you'll find two holes underneath, which you can shove a screwdriver up to release the catches, without breaking anything.

post-19166-12541654781_thumb.jpg

Unplug the two connectors.

Having removed the switch module, prise the switch actuators off the front, and put them to one side. You'll find a screw at each end attaching the eustachion to the switch housing. Undo these, and rescue the two screws from wherever you dropped them, and put them aside.

There's one more screw in the rear centre - this one's a bit longer,remove that and get ready to take the thing apart - find somewhere flat 'cos you're about to drop all the bits. using a thin but wide straight screwdriver, or similar, undo the latches holding the two halves of the switch housing together - mine had some tape on too, so remove that.

post-19166-125416550527_thumb.jpg

Ok, inside are 16 ball bearings (4mm diameter if you need to replace any), 8 springs, 8 'rocker contacts' and 4 plastic lever things, 3 of which will come out easily.

post-19166-125416552874_thumb.jpg

Clean the brass rocker contacts in something - either use switch cleaner or one of those household cleaning things that come in a pink bottle, such as 'Cillit Bang'. Myself, I use Coke, it does a great job, and you get something to drink whilst you're doing it (don't drink the stuff you're cleaning the contacts in though). If necessary give them a rub with a finger nail or the blade of a scredriver to get anything really stubborn off - we're after something shiny. The contact points are each end, and also the centre.

During:post-19166-125416557239_thumb.jpg

After:post-19166-125416558747_thumb.jpg - a couple of black marks remain, so a bit longer in the soak...

Also, clean the body of the switch with it's contacts in using the same method. Coke doesn't attack the plastic - I can't speak for any other products.

Give it about 15 minutes, wash thoroughly, and dry equally well.

Re-assembly is pretty straightforward, here's a picture to help, but basically a pair of rocker contacts per position, the two straight lever things go either side of the one that doesn't come out easily, and the offset one by itself. Above each rocker contact you need to insert one ball bearing, a spring, then another ball bearing - you should get this:

post-19166-125416560417_thumb.jpg

Once you're happy, press the top cover back on, then put all the screws back where they came from, and put it back in the Discovery. All being well, you should find it all working.

post-19166-125416555521_thumb.jpg

Kev

Are the switch eustachions a dealer part or have you found another source ( I have two that are broken but the electrics still work)

Baldy

Edited to add:

Thank you for the informative write up, now I have no escuse....

No problem, glad it can be of some use.

The sitch eustachions I bought came from Keith Gott in Alton, so I wouldn't mind betting your favorite parts stockist would have them - I've since thrown the bag away so I can't tell you which supplier they came from, but I've also seen them on eBay too in the past.

No problem, glad it can be of some use.

The sitch eustachions I bought came from Keith Gott in Alton, so I wouldn't mind betting your favorite parts stockist would have them - I've since thrown the bag away so I can't tell you which supplier they came from, but I've also seen them on eBay too in the past.

Cheers Kev, phoned them ..had stock..in post today

Off next week so repairing switches on the list of jobs..

Many thanks again

Baldy

Feedback as promised:

Pulled the switch from the centre console, collected a few screwdrivers, a very fine 1/2 round needle file, a very fine small oil stone, some switch cleaner and a tub of high melting point grease from the garage, cleared the kitchen table and set to work!

Removed the three X-head screws, prised the bits that you push for seat adjustment off (that was the hardest part, scared I was going to break them) and the case came apart easily revealing a load of brass bits, springs, steel balls and bits of plastic. Panic! No, think about it, weighed up where they had all come from (2 balls to a spring etc.) it was obvious really.

Cleaned the black cr4p off the contacts, being very careful not to gouge big grooves in them, liberally coated everything with switch cleaner/lubricant and started to assemble it all back together. When the plastic actuators were in place I dropped the first ball in, then the spring, when the spring was in place I smeared some grease on the top to hold the upper ball (shouldn't do any harm as it will lubricate the movement anyway) and went on until they were all in place.

With all three sub-assy's in located I carefully placed the cover back over and prayed! This is where it could all go wrong, but with a bit of help from a small screwdriver it all clipped into place and nothing rattled - all the balls must have seated (as the actress said to the holy one).

Quickly remounted this lot onto the mounting plate, fixed the X-head screws and took it out to the car. Plugged the connections in and all the actions worked first time, without any blue smoke!

So it's fairly easy with a steady hand and the right bits of kit, which most garages probably have, with the exception of the switch cleaner - but thats easy to get. Just make sure when it goes back together nothing has slipped out of place, it wouldn't be good to have the internal bits shorting out!

Hope this helps others, sorry to go on a bit.......

Thanks, again for all the advice. Cheers, H.

No piccys but we got there in the end! Oh, and they are still working perfectly!

But, since then we have had the clips on the escutchon on the drivers side break so I need to look at it sometime so this will help, thanks. H.

I didn't find that post, despite searching, I'm struggling perhaps with the forum search - it seems to be an "OR" search, so looking for ELECTRIC SEAT SWITCHES brings up a lorra lorra hits nothing whatsoever related!

Yes, you do kind of get a parts explosion if you're not careful when opening it, but as you say, apply some logic (or look at one of my photos) and it all goes back tegether pretty easily.

I didn't grease mine - maybe I should have, but it wasn't very greasy before - I just cleaned the fluff out.

Never underestimate the power of Coke as a contact cleaner!

Just to add to the above in case it may help someone, I recently repaired a window switch from a Rover 400 which is very similar to the above.

After cleaning, the driver side "up" switch was still very intermittent, when I looked a little futher I realised that the fixed contact had erroded to the point where the the brass rocker part was touching the plastic housing before the little "dimple" on on the end of the rocker made contact.

To overcome this, I carefully used a centre punch on the back of the "dimple" with the rocker on a bit of wood, this had the effect of increasing the height of the contact and completely cured the problem.

After cleaning, the driver side "up" switch was still very intermittent, when I looked a little futher I realised that the fixed contact had erroded to the point where the the brass rocker part was touching the plastic housing before the little "dimple" on on the end of the rocker made contact.

To overcome this, I carefully used a centre punch on the back of the "dimple" with the rocker on a bit of wood, this had the effect of increasing the height of the contact and completely cured the problem.

Good idea I assume is wan't super sharp! This is probably much better than putting a dob of solder of such like too.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone, just joined here after searching for help with my R/H seat controls.

Initially, the only one not working was the recline switch.

I've followed the excellent info above, put the switch back together, but now the recline is working, but the tilt isn't.

Has anyone any idea?

Could it be one of the rocker contacts, which is now in a different place after the dismantle, or possibly a ball bearing dropped out of place when I put it back together (I can't hear anything rattling inside though).

Also, if it is a ball bearing out of place, is there any type of grease that I can use just to keep everything in place?

Appreciate any advice.

Vicky

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

bought a second hand switch had the same fault would not lift the seat without taking the switch to bits i removed the face plate and flicked off the actuaters then sprayed switch cleaner into the switch left it for about five minutes and guess what it started to work again you were right its just the contacts inside need a clean anyway great leeson cheers sinbad

• 3 months later...

We have a discovery 3 08 plate and the driver's seat had been doing it's own thing and moving all the way back whilst driving. Now it won't go back at all and is stuck all the way forward. Any ideas why and what we can do?Neither of us can fit behind the wheel at the moment!