Not a great morning - ended with a flat bed taxi

Hybrid_From_Hell

Oh deep joy :(

Me Gearbox had been sounding a tad crunchy for a while now, so I sent a spare LT85 up to 'Uncle Dave' at Ashcrofts so he

could work his magic on it at his leisure, ....and me still have a working 90 on the road

....clever eh ? :) ....well er ...that was the plan :)

Today I left for work, and about half way there was an almighty bang the 90 jumped up and landed :blink:, followed by 'no drive'

To be more "Accurate" - Thats 'no drive' in 1 2 3 4 5... or Rev... in either Low High box ...with or without diff lock :lol:

"B*gger" summed it up nicely - a call to the AA saw me dragged home ...and the 90s now in the workshop in disgrace :rofl:

A call to Ashcrofts asking if it could be now 'sooner rather than later pleeeease' means I'll have a new box to fit this weekend,

who said that "when autos break yer screwed, but with a manual a gear or 2 will maybe be there".... :lol:"Maybe" is the

keyword methinks. Anyway, whilst awaiting the joys of the flat bed taxi service, I did a quick vid of the 'oh so joyus' noises

from the box, even neutral sounds like a bag of spanners on spin in a washing machine ......only got to fourth ....

and me phone went flat ... just to finish the f morning off f nicely :lol:

th_IMG_0045_converted-1.jpg

So, place your bets, ......what have I gone and fubar'd :D ?

Nige

Have you been boy racing and ripped cluch centre out?

Moi :P ?

I'd be suprised, as its a solid release carrier, and solid arm, plus ceramic paddle clutch, and the clutch "Feels" normal

with full travel, normal resistance but just the added cringeworthy noises and no drive

But, can't rule it out :D

Nige

[lock stock moment] That's propper f**ked, like zee Germans [/lock stock moment]

Reminds me of the noise the gearbox in Dan's 90 HT made on the way back from HW at Kirton earlier this year - lay shaft snapped just going past Donnington services. We made it back (~100 miles) with only 4th gear. That doesn't sound too bad until you realise we were towing a 900kg trailer with a 2100 kg vehicle on it :huh:

Erm

Oddly "Non" so far

TBox off, and all seems really really VGC inside,

skilled mate has it for a new seal gasket shim tweak 'jobbie',

and as such the mainshaft was exposed and investigated

Mainshaft seems fine and all splines there, and Input gear to TBox equally is mint. :blink:

but now today having spoken to Dave at Ashcrofts, he thinks and has said what he 'thinks' it might be....

I won't say yet in case others want a guess, but once box off (sunday) then mate and I will

pull apart, and prob then confirm what Dave has guessed and post up :lol:

In the meantime Ashcrofts are moving heaven and earth for me to get me a box to me for tommorrow bless them

......so sunday will be hopefully a hive of activity, swearing, take away currys, swearing, beer, and more swearing :)

Guess away, ....hopefully the 'guess-a-poll' closes sunday sometime :lol:

Nige

Derrrr, bet you've broke'nd der layshaft or the bearing, ficko should ave beene more carefull shouldn't you ???

Speaking of laying better check me Chickens are still clucking about, on the shippon roof

Love to help but its sillage stirring on Saturdays, followed by cleaning the ferrets, as you know smile.gif

If the layshaft had failed I would expect you would get some drive in 4th - being essentially straight through the gearbox. Have had this on a 5-speed Ford box - see 1 below but without input shaft to mainshaft spline damage - which drove fine in 4th but nothing else making for a very interesting weekends driving!

As you haven't, I think it possible that either:

1. The input shaft bearing has failed allowing it to flail & destroy the input shaft & layshaft meshing gear AND the join of the input shaft to the main shaft

2. The mainshaft has snapped inside the rear of the box, hence you can select gears but nothing comes out of the back.