Td5 Turbo

Can any one suggest and good upgrade turbos for the the Td5? I was going for a Garrett VNT turbo, like the one used in the 2.8 TGV. the problem is that i cannot find it anywhere on the internet. the model number is GT2256V, and in the Garrett catalogue it is not included. other vehicles like alfa, mercedes and iveco use this turbo.

Can some one help me? i know that Lara made thus conversion, maybe he can give me some tips.

Does someone know any other mods i can do.

regards

Rodney

Malta

I fitted a turbo and exhaust manifold from a 2.8 TGV to my 300Tdi. This was pretty straight forward. Had to modify the 2.8 TGV oil supply pipe (remove and blank the line to the vacuum pump).

I don't know if the turbo will bolt to the TD5 exh manifold.

I never knew the model number of this turbo as it is not on the turbo (has other numbers though, but nothing like model numbers in Garrett catalogues). I could not find it or information in Garrett info.

I bought mine from someone who procured it to do the 300Tdi conversion himself, but decided to change the engine.

I don't know where he bought it from (and I am not in contact with him now). I assume from International Engines in Brazil as it seemed to be packaged as a complete kit with turbo, manifold, exhaust downpipe, oil lines, gaskets etc. The turbo is clearly marked Made in Brazil.

If I was to do a turbo swap again (which I intend to do with my Isuzu 4BD1-T engine), I would consider a different high performance turbo that is more readily available. I'm not convinced that VNT is that much of an advantage over some of the other good, modern technology turbos. And they may not be as reliable.

Just stumbled on this so its a bit late but another option to try is contacting Garret themselves. When we wanted one for a little project they build a 'custom' one out of stock parts to provide the characteristics we needed. Very helpfull and not as expensive as you might imagine.

Just spoke with Ken Parker who ran their Manchester office at the time. He seemed to lliked what we where doing, got his techie guys to build a nicely matched unit and sold it at what was probably under cost.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest diesel_jim
I think he's added an aftermarket crack in the inlet manifold, from what he said to me just before Christmas... :(

Although a change in turbo shouldn't really have caused that?

yes, if it was running mega boost, but a standard one also could have caused that (with mega boost)

I really fancy a decent one on my Td5, like a VVT, just to improve the low end pulling away.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

It is for a UP of this post !!!

Does anybody have any information about Turbocharger that can be install on the TD5 engine ?

I am searching on the Web (so i found this old one) but nothing else about back experience.

Thank to you if you can help me.

Fred.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Many thanks for yours answers.

But this does not tell me what is the reference of the Garrett VNT for the TD5 engine !!! Does it a secret ?

Thanks to you if you can write it to me.

Cheers.

Fred06

Fred,

Garret do not make a bolt on Variable Geometry Turbo for a Td5. So there is no reference/part number to give.

The turbo that I sell has been made epsecially - at my request - so is the only bolt on version avaliable, and thus does not need any adaptor plates to fit.

Regards

Ian

Hello,

Garret do not make a bolt on Variable Geometry Turbo for a Td5. So there is no reference/part number to give.

The turbo that I sell has been made epsecially - at my request - so is the only bolt on version avaliable, and thus does not need any adaptor plates to fit.

Many thanks for all your answers.

It remains for me to play the lottery to be able to equip my defender ... LOL

Greats

Fred

thanks for your reply. i just ordered a mercedes ML 270 turbo which happens to be the turbo there is on the 2.8 TGV. hope it will arrive next week so i can begin this LITTLE project

The turbo for the ML270 is not the same turbo as used on the 2.8 TGV. Both may be GT2256V but that number simply denotes a family of turbos which can have many differences. GT is for Garrett's later turbos, 22 is the size of the turbine wheel, 56 is the outside diameter of the compressor wheel and V is for variable vane geometry.

The turbine housing can be different A/R, the compressor wheel can have different trim. There can be many differences in the turbine and compressor housings to suit the application.

The Garrett part number is what needs to be compared to determine if 2 turbos are the same.

The following pics are parts of 2 pages from a catalogue listing Garrett part numbers for a number of GT2256 turbos. Note the one used on the 2.8 TGV is on the 2nd pic as Garrett part number 724652-0001 for Navistar (International is now Navistar).

For anyone wanting to fit a VNT turbo the easiest way is to buy from someone like IRB Developments or Bell Auto Services, who get the turbos made with housings that match the original for an easy bolt-in solution and save many hassles in getting hoses etc to fit and the variable vanes to work correctly for the application.

post-62-039562700 1290283898_thumb.jpg

post-62-022843000 1290283915_thumb.jpg

Edit: from memory the stock TD5 turbo is a GT2052 (no V because it is not variable vane geometry). So both the turbine and compressor are smaller than a GT2256 - IMHO the stock turbo, particularly the compressor wheel, is a bit small for optimum performance at high boost pressure with a high performance chipped TD5.

• 3 years later...