Newbie to mig welding

jmattley

I am aware that there is a whole thread on mig welders which I've been having a good read, but I'm just wondering what would be the highest ampage mig setup to get. 100-150 seems about right from what I've read. I've done a little bit of welding before and have mates to show me how to go on etc. I'm thinking of getting one to help me patch up my disco and any future cars I have.

Do you lot reckon this is the right approach or whether I should just leave it to someone more experienced?

Any thoughts on the idea or learning to mig weld? I don't have time to go to college or anything like that, just want it for a bit of patching every now and then.

Cheers everyone!

My 150A does quite happily with everything I throw at it...I'm largely self taught on the try try again principle...and I run ordinary CO2 gas bought from Bryland Fire Extinguishers on PearTree lane in Breierley hill, costs £25 for a bottle you then own, and £5.40 ish for a refill.

I am aware that there is a whole thread on mig welders which I've been having a good read, but I'm just wondering what would be the highest ampage mig setup to get. 100-150 seems about right from what I've read. I've done a little bit of welding before and have mates to show me how to go on etc. I'm thinking of getting one to help me patch up my disco and any future cars I have.

Do you lot reckon this is the right approach or whether I should just leave it to someone more experienced?

Any thoughts on the idea or learning to mig weld? I don't have time to go to college or anything like that, just want it for a bit of patching every now and then.

Cheers everyone!

Hi,

A 150amp will do what you want but i would stay away from the cheap units that are available, better to buy a decent make second hand one such as a Butters, Cebora etc than one of the clarke, sip ones IMHO.

As for gas if you use the disposable bottles they will cost you a fortune if you need to do any serious amount of work. Far better to get hold of a BOC or Air Products cylinder, that is refillable and will last forever. They are available without officially renting one from BOC etc, and can be exchanged at any agent.

I personally would stay away if possible from the pub CO2 bottle unless you have no choice, CO2 is not as good a shield as the others (BOC Argoshield) (Air Products Cougar 7 I think) any way its basically the same Argon mix.

Practice practice is the answer to learning to mig weld. Get a few starting tips/help from someone who can mig weld preferably who can be with you when you start to learn. Once you have the mig/gas set up correctly its just a case of practice practice. Start with easy welding, dont try upside down on up/dn runs until you have mastered the basics.

Get everything clean and i mean clean not just a wire brush but grinders and discs. Preparation is the important bit if its clean then mig is easy, the times i have seen people trying to mig rusty steel, and failing then blaming the mig.

Regards

Keith

The higher end clarke units get an OK write up on mig-welding.co.uk.

I'm looking at getting a 151TE

I would also suggest using argoshield or an equivalent, as it gives a cleaner weld with less spatter etc.

You can do the same as ejaparrot says though, some places will sell you an old fire extingusisher or whatever and then fill it with argoshield or similar for much less money than paying BOC/AirProducts will rent you a cylinder for!

This site is down at the minute, but it's very useful (when it's working). There are good video tutorials and lots of knowledgeable folks on the forum.

http://mig-welding.co.uk/

In terms of a welder, if you're ever going to do any chassis stuff, you need to be up around 130-150amp. 100 amp isn't going to be enough - you'll be running on full power and cutting out on overheat all the time, and probably still short of penetration.

I'm no fan of Clarke tools in general, but the Clarke 150TE(?) welder that my mate has is a good bit of kit. I've read (probably on that mig welding site) that SIP welders have lots of problems with the wire sheath, so are best avoided.

I second (third) the advice to buy a good 2nd hand industrial unit rather than a brand new hobby mig, and use Argoshield. An auto helmet makes a world of difference too.

From a domestic 13A / 16A supply you're not going to get much more than 150-200A out of anything anyway, even if you crank it up. Having a separate feed with a 16A blue commando socket can make a difference at the high end.

I have a 151te and for what I use it for (much the same as your intended use) it's fine. Yes it cheap. basic and quality isn't amazing but for what it cost me and what I need it is more thean capable. Done some simple fabricating with it and with no problems. Just my experience though.

Cheers for all the quick responses everyone, you've being very helpful. Are there any particular makes or even models that you'd recommend? Butters and Cebora are good it would seem, but also expensive from what I've found, any recommendations? I don't really want to spend over £200 on the welder itself, most likely looking on ebay at used ones. Any thoughts?

Definetely get on migwelding.co.uk it is really good I have learnt loads in the past few weeks of learning.

I have a 150amp Sip migmate and I wouldnt recomend it :(

150amp is ok for most things but I defintely want more power now as its not really too clever at welding anything above 4.5mm without loads of prep work(root gaps/cutting v's on to edges ect)

If you can try and get one a bit more powerfull.........but only if you think you will want to weld thicker metal!

Dave.

I have a 185 amp Sealey (can't remember the exact model) and it's done plenty of good service for me (touch wood). The quality of the machine isn't bad and it welds well although it is better off not on a 13A supply. What ever you do I would advise buying something with a well known name - that way if it breaks down you should be able to get parts.

With your budget, I wouldn't be looking new. I would concentrate on a well known brand in good condition - butters would be my first choice. Ebay can be an OK place to look but often things are over priced. Apex auctions can be a better place to look.

Oh, and when it comes to learning, get a grown up to give you a few pointers and then practice, practice, practice.

HTHs

At the budget end, I picked up a SIP Migmate 150 for about 80 quid on eblag and I've had absolutely no probs with it other than the transformer for the wire feed motor blew, which I think is not uncommon. one of these days I'll solder in a new transformer but my temp fix for now is a couple of wires from the board connected to an old car battery (motor is 12v) thinking about it, this may even be a performance enhancement as the wire feed is vry good now!

A new wire sleeve made all the difference - steel liners are recommended but I've been going on ok with a plastic one for a year now, and you can pick up a kit with the liner, tips and shield from halfords for about 12 quid if you have nowehere better more convenient.

Not the ideal kit if you're building roll cages and winch bumpers day in day out, but for the odd bit of patching and fabricating it's fine.

SIP doesnt get a good writeup on mig-welding.

For the price the high end Clarke units are alright. Even used, industrial single phase machines are pricey.

for £200 buying used is the way to go, however, you have to watch you dont end up with a squib.

If you know welders you'd be able to tell that its not right as soon as you fire it up, but if you dont, you'd end up struggling away for months thinking your crappy welding is the problem!

On the advice of an experienced professional welder, I contacted this bloke and said I was looking for a 150 - 160A Mig and gave him a budget.

About 4 weeks later he came back to me and I now have a 150A second hand "grown up" machine (branded as "Rand" that is a rebadged Miller :) ) that has been fantastic for the last 3 years.

just read that SIP servicing page on the migwelders wite - very informative and makes me realise why i've been struggling to weld thin stuff on lower settings with mine.

might just have to get a replacement wire liner! Works fine on higher settings, so obviously isnt too bad, but quite looking forward to seeing how much improvement there is afterwards.

ps, my sip 150 was £80 off ebay second hand and came with pub gas bottle adaptors and all sorts. proper bargain and certainly good enough for most of my needs.

Thick stuff tends to get attacked by the stick welder though, as i really enjoy using arc as its incredibly satisfying getting a nice long 'worm' of slag peeling off in one long run.

:)

edited to add, does anybody have any experience of anti-spatter pastes to prolong tip life? Do they work or is it bobbins?

Edited to add again, just looking at the migwelding forum and alot of people who need to replace the plastic wire liners are using CURTAIN WIRE for 50p from places like morrisons

:lol:

now that appeals to my yorkshire-ness.

SIP doesnt get a good writeup on mig-welding.

SIP hobby welders had some serious wire feed issues, however, the SIP professional welders are adifferent ball game. I use one of these http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=3446&gl=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base fed with a 16mm feed from the consumer unit to a blue commando & a 64A class C breaker...........

• 3 weeks later...