2.5l petrol stuttering after a long run

Hi,

I've experienced a problem with my 2.5l petrol 90.

I usually drive it round locally and rarely on motorways but today we decided that due to the snow we would take it to our sons swimming lessons which meant a longer journey of about 5-6 miles.

Towards the end of the outbound journey and the whole of the return journey the engine started to stutter as I was going along at about 50-55 mph.

If I had to stop at a roundabout pulling away would have the engine stuttering badly and struggling when the accelerator was pressed.

It also used to be quite happy to go 65-70 but couldn't get past 55mph.

Once the truck has stopped doing the higher speed portion of hte journey it starts to get a bit better and is back to normal once I start it the next day.

It feels as if it's starved of something, whether it's fuel or air I don't know. One thought I did have, based on the getting slightly better when not doing high speed journeys is that there isn't enough fuel getting to the carb and sitting in traffic refills carb float chambers but my knowledge of weber carbs and fuel systems in general is quite thin.

Can anyone suggest where to start investigating or any pointers on what to look at??

Thanks

Steve

I've been doing some more digging around and found that some people on series vehicles put a y shape connector on the air intake to the filter to be fed from the exhaust manifold.

Any ideas as to how this would be fitted and whether it's even possible??

Thanks

So how does it connect to the manifold?

it doesn't, the warm air pick up was clear off the manifold but close enough to allow the warmed air to be drawn in by the engine as the intake system pulled air through the filter/intake system.

Personally I'd be looking at condensor/coil, pretty classic symptoms, alongside the above icing issues.

What would be happening to the coil and condensor for these to be sypmtoms of?

All these problems I'm experiencing are helping me understand how the truck works better.

Thanks

is there any ice/moisture around/on the carb, Carburetor_icing with the current sub zero temp, it may be the problem, a temp shield around the body but clear of linkages might help.

Surely if it was carb icing it's effects would have been more noticable on the outbound journey? After 5/6 miles i would have thought the residual heat around the engine would have stopped this from happening? Why would it only show its self later in the journey after the engine is warm?

What would be happening to the coil and condensor for these to be sypmtoms of?

All these problems I'm experiencing are helping me understand how the truck works better.

Thanks

Coil will get hot to touch (breaking down internally), or may be leaking oil and therefore overheating. Change the condenser as they are only pence and will rule something else out. 

Surely if it was carb icing it's effects would have been more noticable on the outbound journey? After 5/6 miles i would have thought the residual heat around the engine would have stopped this from happening? Why would it only show its self later in the journey after the engine is warm?

This blighted a Micra of my acquaintance, where it was a matter of how cold and damp the air was - colder and damper made it happen sooner, later if not. The engine gets very little heat into the carburettor, even with the "hot-spot" system.

Throw in another idea... How recently have you checked your spark plugs and HT leads? HT leads deteriate very quickly in the cold if they are damaged or old!

Leads and plugs were changes end of last summer.

Also it didn't happen before the cold weather but then it doesn;t go on many longer journeys

Coil will get hot to touch (breaking down internally), or may be leaking oil and therefore overheating. Change the condenser as they are only pence and will rule something else out. 

I'll get them changed when I get a chance, probably won't happen now till after the snow disappears but it can't do any harm.