buying a RRC

pete300tdi90

Hey,

I have a defender, but not that hot on RRCs and V8 LPGs.

looking at a V8 LPG to be used to tow horses about (want any 4x4 that can do it but money is limited and this one came up 'cheap'

the chassis looks ok, but the front chassis to turret mount has a hole, and 3 of the wheel arches are getting them too (one is on a seatbelt mount and looks bad) also the boot floor (right newt to the door) is rusted through and the passenger side door drops when opens.

body/interia look ok, and am getting a friend with a V8 LPG disco to have a look at the engie.

price is £500, but was thinking of offering £300-350. this sound right?

how easy is it to weld the boot, turret mount (not the turret itself) and arches? or how much are replacements (if you can buy them)

thanks for the help.

Pete

The last one I bought had 12 months MoT, needed no welding, had less than 24K on the engine and box and cost £750. It didn't have the LPG though, but I bought a kit for it for £150. I'd say keep looking, there's plenty of junk around, but it's easy to find something solid if you're willing to do some tidying.

Also think about Discos, loads of them around with MoT and mechanical problems (normally gearbox or head gasket) for under £500.

Hey,

I have a defender, but not that hot on RRCs and V8 LPGs.

looking at a V8 LPG to be used to tow horses about (want any 4x4 that can do it but money is limited and this one came up 'cheap'

the chassis looks ok, but the front chassis to turret mount has a hole, and 3 of the wheel arches are getting them too (one is on a seatbelt mount and looks bad) also the boot floor (right newt to the door) is rusted through and the passenger side door drops when opens.

body/interia look ok, and am getting a friend with a V8 LPG disco to have a look at the engie.

how easy is it to weld the boot, turret mount (not the turret itself) and arches? or how much are replacements (if you can buy them)

thanks for the help.

Pete

I would probabaly keep looking myself, as there are quite a few out there. That one sounds like it might be a bit to much work, but for £500 it will be hard to find a real good one that doesn't need any welding.

The last one I bought had 12 months MoT, needed no welding, had less than 24K on the engine and box and cost £750. It didn't have the LPG though, but I bought a kit for it for £150. I'd say keep looking, there's plenty of junk around, but it's easy to find something solid if you're willing to do some tidying.

You done well to find one like that, I've seen quite a few bought for around £500-£600 mark & have all had over 100k on & all needed some welding, some more than others.

Well done, sounds like you got a good un :)