CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

• 1 year later...

Don't know if anyone else has posted this, but according to Ofcom website -

OFCOM & CB

Kicks in on 8th December apparently.

Apparently tis an offence to swear on a CB rig, so be interesting to see that one imposed by ye old plod. :D

BTW found this info out via BBC news website talking about legalising MP3 transmitters to in car radios. :)

Full range of affected technologies as taken from here:

- Citizens’ Band (CB) radio – measures to remove the need for users of CB radio, of which there are currently 20,000, to obtain a licence from Ofcom;

- “micro” FM transmitters – these devices are designed to facilitate easy connection between audio sources (such as digital audio devices and MP3 players) and normal FM broadcast receivers by way of a radio link. Ofcom proposes to permit the use of these devices on a licence-exempt basis;

- A range of new technologies and novel applications of radio where users will not need to obtain a licence from Ofcom:

-- Inmarsat BGAN and High Density Fixed Satellite Service (HDFSS) satellite terminals;

-- Narrow band use of 24 GHz for short-range radar (including automotive applications);

-- Radar Level Gauges;

-- Digital PMR 446 (“walkie talkies”);

Don't know if anyone else has posted this, but according to Ofcom website -

OFCOM & CB

Kicks in on 8th December apparently.

Apparently tis an offence to swear on a CB rig, so be interesting to see that one imposed by ye old plod. :D

BTW found this info out via BBC news website talking about legalising MP3 transmitters to in car radios. :)

What you needed to buy one in the first place. :huh::ph34r::huh:

I have not bought one since 1989 when i had my first CB. Next you will be telling me you have to still buy a dog license :lol::lol:

Ooh - does this mean I can legally use my 'iTrip' on my iPod in the UK now? :)

Ta, Al.

Depends on what device you have

Quote from that BBC article - "However, many devices currently on the market will remain illegal as they do not meet the legally required technical specifications and could interfere with radio broadcasts"

If it ain't got the CE mark its probably still illegal. Bit like CB - they legalised it, but because it was on FM, most of the sets in the country at the time remained illegal.

Bet I can't get a refund on my CB licence, I had to have one as I also hold a Ham licence, so didn't want to run into any licencing problems.

Strange i am also a Ham G0TSH call and i always understood, we were excempt from a CB license as the frequencies were covered under the old class A license.

But then again probably me being a tight git. :ph34r:

Strange i am also a Ham G0TSH call and i always understood, we were excempt from a CB license as the frequencies were covered under the old class A license.

But then again probably me being a tight git. :ph34r:

possibly under the previous Ham licence system, it change a few years ago, to Foundation -- M3***,Intermidiate -- 2E0*** or 2E1*** & Advanced G & M0 & M1 prefixes--- [old A & B class].

• 2 months later...

I would say Midland are very good, their UK supplier Alan UK are very helpful too.

We mounted ours infront of the knees of the passenger on 110, it didn't get in the way. we then routed the antenna cable up to the roof and then along the internal gutterrail to the back. We drilled a hole 1 1/2 inches above the gutter, and mounted the antenna on the roof rack where there was a mount for a worklamp.

I am sure I had some pictures somewhere, I will try find them for you if you want.

Nick

I use a this Midland/Alan 48 plus rig wwith a gutter mount & Orbiter antenna (the top one)

These are good knowledgable suppliers Thunderpole just outside Billing Auqadrome & Comms 11 I've recieved good service & quick delivery from both :D

I have the same one, a Midland 48. This http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/midland_24-12.htm was the small one I was thinking about.

Paul