300tdi home made snorkel pipework size

gripper

looking to make a snorkel for my 300tdi, the pipe into the airbox is about 2.5 inches diameter, will it be detremental if i make the snorkel tube from 2 inch pipe which is plentiful and free (good reason to use it),don't want to do any damage by restricting the airflow too much although i never thrash the engine and it rarely goes over 3 thousand rpm.

if this will be ok i can get on with fabricating it and get some piccies up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

got some 2.5" flexi pipe and a bit of 2.5" exhaust pipe for up the pillar and a mushroom, pipe is the same size as the standard intake so should be good, spent a couple of hours making it all look like this

4372675119_9e88ce8367.jpg

quite pleased with how neat the hole in the wing looks with a bit of trim from work

4372675439_4d92ab0bb7.jpg

got it from a hydraulic engineers shop, they sell all sorts of stuff, tools, pipe of varying sorts, paints etc, and they make hydraulic pipes too.

it's in boston in lincs cost £15 for just short of 2 meters 63mm, you may get something at an agricultural place maybe?

thanks guys, i did consider buying a southdown top as it would be more discreet than a mushroom but i didn't think it had any sort of water seperating like a safari does and the mushroom does so i'll stick with this, hopefully it won't get caught up on too many branches when laning.

• 1 month later...

i used a couple of angle brackets i found in my shed, they would be the sort in most diy stores, 90 degree angle about 2" per side, welded to the exhaust pipe on the screen side that you can't see in the pics, it goes towards the door then into the door shut then drilled and riveted to the A pillar inside the door shut just like a safari one would be.