Coolant level wngs systems

JST

i have one of the black 300tdi expansion tanks fitted. it has the std cap.

Do discos/rangies with this tank fitted have low coolant wng levels fitted?

if so does anyone know the part numbers for the caps as fitted to Discos/Rangies i presume that have a sensor fitted to them? presuming they exist?

i was then thinking of replacing my cap wth one of those then wiring it through a wng light on the dash to come on when the level is low.

if so does anyone know the part numbers for the caps as fitted to Discos/Rangies i presume that have a sensor fitted to them? presuming they exist?

i was then thinking of replacing my cap wth one of those then wiring it through a wng light on the dash to come on when the level is low.

When you sort the wiring out.Please let me know how you managed it???.I've been trying for three months now and I'm no further forward.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

I've been meaning to do this mod for ages.

I've got an old copy of the Shire LRC mag with part numbers and a great wiring diagram at home - I'll scan it if someone from Shires lets me!

I've been meaning to do this mod for ages.

I've got an old copy of the Shire LRC mag with part numbers and a great wiring diagram at home - I'll scan it if someone from Shires lets me!

No problem, just credit the author.

Disc 300Tdi's have this cap NTC7161 which is exactly the same for a 200/300Tdi Defenders,

what you want is this from Range Rover Classic From VIN GA399973 cap/sensor low level coolant PRC7925, it's just possible to see the 2 spade connectors on top of the cap :D should think with just 2 spade connectors one would be power & other a signal to a warning light [haven't found any wiring diagram showing this yet]

coolantsensorcap.jpg

The coolant level indicator bit into the header tank is simple.

It's the electronices that are needed to change the switch over to work the warning light.

As yet I haven't managed to identify those bits.

I do have some information using a change over relay but as yet I can't get that to work.

I eat rat poison

mike

Well if you pull the wires off, the light is on.

If the level is low, the plunger drops and the light comes on. :)

I've got one on the LSE and bought a new one last year because I thought mine was faulty.. about £35? :(

I have seen a couple of RRs here which have had this taken off on the basis that it was a bit like 300Tdi oil pressure senders - i.e. the function of the warning light was to indicate that the sender was buggered and nothing else :rolleyes:

A good idea if it worked though

I have seen a couple of RRs here which have had this taken off on the basis that it was a bit like 300Tdi oil pressure senders - i.e. the function of the warning light was to indicate that the sender was buggered and nothing else :rolleyes:

A good idea if it worked though

I was a believer of that theory until last year... I'd even had an oil light come on at 60mph and it was because of a knackered sender. :angry: However, one of the little water hoses on the Rangie failed last year late at night as we were coming up the A90 in foul weather - sure enough, no water in the header tank. I topped it up with water / antifreeze from a container in the boot and carried on only to get the light come back on 5mins later. The second time I was sceptical and looked for the leak "lo and behold!"

The point is that I would have been none the wiser until the temp guage had moved without the little light so it potentially saved the 4.2 from a roasting :blink:

I was a believer of that theory until last year... I'd even had an oil light come on at 60mph and it was because of a knackered sender. :angry: However, one of the little water hoses on the Rangie failed last year late at night as we were coming up the A90 in foul weather - sure enough, no water in the header tank. I topped it up with water / antifreeze from a container in the boot and carried on only to get the light come back on 5mins later. The second time I was sceptical and looked for the leak "lo and behold!"

The point is that I would have been none the wiser until the temp guage had moved without the little light so it potentially saved the 4.2 from a roasting :blink:

Sorry - I am just a pessimist about "warning systems" having had about six oil pressure senders in my 90 in the last 18 months.....

It is a good idea if it works and I suppose you could argue that, like a radar detector, a hundred false alarms are worthwhile if it goes off the one time it really needs to...

Sorry - I am just a pessimist about "warning systems" having had about six oil pressure senders in my 90 in the last 18 months.....

It is a good idea if it works and I suppose you could argue that, like a radar detector, a hundred false alarms are worthwhile if it goes off the one time it really needs to...

Having had a few coolant leaks from the Rangie, those sensors are a Very Good Thing...

Ah.. oh.. I think Radar Detectors are a waste of time. They either detect the wrong thing or miss the right thing (narrow beams etc). They give a very false sense of security IMHO. :(

My money would be on a Road Angel which can be updated via the internet, knows where all of the sytems are and is very reliable. :)

As longterm lurker when i saw this response I had to register and reply.

I have just fitted one to my defender and got it working successfully (eventually).

I followed the ep90.com instructions but couldn't get the light to work when connected through the sensor.

After consulting a friendly electronics hobbyist we came to the conclusion that the relay recommended on ep90 required more current than could flow through the sensors reed switch.

I changed the relay for a 12v telecoms one (these have much higher coil resistance so need less current) from Maplin part number N17AW and bingo it worked. (This relay requires soldering at the terminals)

RSS do similar relays part numbers 422-7079 and FP2-D3002.

Ah.. oh.. I think Radar Detectors are a waste of time. They either detect the wrong thing or miss the right thing (narrow beams etc). They give a very false sense of security IMHO. :(

My money would be on a Road Angel which can be updated via the internet, knows where all of the sytems are and is very reliable. :)

I do too. They definitely haven't saved me a big fine on two occasions and therefore they definitely don't work. I just keep one for decoration really, stops the dashboard getting dusty, honest ossifer :)

I do too. They definitely haven't saved me a big fine on two occasions and therefore they definitely don't work. I just keep one for decoration really, stops the dashboard getting dusty, honest ossifer :)

Steve,

I use mine purely as a backup to confirm my speed using the GPS... I didn't get mine because I had been caught and pay no attention to it when it bleeps... Neither do I religiously update it before long journeys. :lol:

:rolleyes:

As longterm lurker when i saw this response I had to register and reply.

I have just fitted one to my defender and got it working successfully (eventually).

I followed the ep90.com instructions but couldn't get the light to work when connected through the sensor.

After consulting a friendly electronics hobbyist we came to the conclusion that the relay recommended on ep90 required more current than could flow through the sensors reed switch.

I changed the relay for a 12v telecoms one (these have much higher coil resistance so need less current) from Maplin part number N17AW and bingo it worked. (This relay requires soldering at the terminals)

RSS do similar relays part numbers 422-7079 and FP2-D3002.

Any chanco of any instructions please ??

You know what wire goes to what connector.

I eat rat poison

mike

Pin Connections for the Maplin N17AW relay:

Relay Coil

Pin 1 - Ignition Feed

Pin 16 - Coolant Sensor (The coolant sensor then goes to earth)

Relay Contacts:

Pin 4 - Ignition Feed

Pin 6 - Warning Light (Then warning light goes to earth)

(You can also use pins 13,11 instead of 4,6)

There is a pdf datasheet on the maplin website with the pin details

N17AW Relay

Hope this helps

Relay Coil

Pin 1 - Ignition Feed

Relay Contacts:

Pin 4 - Ignition Feed

There is a pdf datasheet on the maplin website with the pin details

N17AW Relay

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot.

A visit to Maplins today then have a play with the relay.

I eat rat poison

mike

Could you post the pin details please.

He did!!! :P

Relay Coil

Pin 1 - Ignition Feed

Relay Contacts:

Pin 4 - Ignition Feed