rear shock mounts

Hi guysss..

I bought the shock absorbers mountings to fit pin-pin plus 5.5 shocks, but i have a small problem.

The mounting on the driver side can't be fitted cos there is the diesel filter on the way!

Has anyone encountered this problem pls??

Thanks alot

Gilbert

I've got the same problem. Gwyn Lewis supplied a bracket to resite the filter but it didn't work as there's not enough give in the pipes (fine on a Puma though). The filter is temporarily bolted direct to the chassis without the mounting plate, there's holes that line up, still a bit of a tight fit and they will chafe eventually. I'm waiting for my brother in law to weld me up a Z shaped bracket to move the filter out and up an inch, about the limit of give in the pipes.

I can take a photo of the filter as it is now.

I remember asking Gwyn about it when I came to fit mine - he said he wasn't sure how it was done, but said no one had come back to him about it so presumed it can't be too difficult to sort out.

This is how I did it - remove the guard leaving the filter and pipes connected:

DSCF6317.jpg

Mark out the hole spacings on a bit of card, as you look at the chassis there are two top bolts that hold the filter and the bracket, and two bottom ones that just hold the bracket:

DSCF6319.jpg

I decided that 4 bolts to mount it was overkill and so iirc elected to just use two ( a top and a bottom) and rotate the mount around the top left hole and fit it onto the top right hole on the chassis ..... if that makes sense.

So I rotated the bracket around the top right hole on my template:

DSCF6320.jpg

and marked the bottom right hole by pushing through the template to mark the bracket:

DSCF6321.jpg

I then drilled the hole:

DSCF6322.jpg

But as I didn't have a large enough drill bit - I opened it up a bit with an old engine porting tool:

DSCF6323.jpg

I then realised I'd done it on the wrong place and so repeated the procedure in the right place...... :rolleyes:

DSCF6324.jpg

Then just bolted it up, the pipe work is stiff and there isn't much leeway, but if you do it like this it'll move enough to allow the new mounts to fit without having to remove or extend the pipework :

DSCF6328.jpg

It immediately felt firm enough to satisfy me that 4 bolts was over kill. If it hadn't I'd have drilled a new hole in the chassis and used a nutsert. I've done lots of miles both on and off road on it though and its not moved at all.