Very intermittent reverse

Hi all,

Don't let the heading fool you, im loving my landy and have only just come in from being out on the drive rubbing it down in readiness for its new paint job, ok another problem? I cant get the damn thing to select reverse, my hand hurts from bashing the gear stick, it has got worse this last couple of days it used to be every twenty attempts and it went in, i know this wasnt right either, but i was developing a knack :blink:

but now nothing, ill be happy just going forward but sometimes i know i may need that backwards motion when some tw*t blocks me in, so if you hadnt gathered i cant get my truck in reverse any clues? its a 1987 landrover 90 with a discovery 200tdi conversion, any more than that i cant tell you, as all the conversion stuff was done by a previous owner and he sold it to a garage where i bought it from im still fairly new to all this stuff.

many thanks in advance

Have you had a look at the linkages from the gear lever to the gearbox, there is an hex headed grub screw in there that can work loose and give too much movement between the lever and box.

It makes a world of difference when its tight! (And an Allen key is a lot cheaper than a new box, which is what I though I needed at the time!)

Guess how I found out.....

Cheers

Peter

Its not the reversing light switch loose and working it way in is it ? :unsure:

that stops the lever moving through the gate properly and it keeps jumping out or just wont engage ! :angry:

Wish it was that little switch, I should have said that I am running it with said switch in just enough to stop muck getting in

Cheers Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have read all your replies and past posts and have decided to go down the plunger route first, I am not that technical, so do you think its something a complete novice like myself should undertake or should I get into a garage?

Paul

Have a look here,

http://landroveroneten.com/index.php/general/land-rover-manuals/

download the correct manual and go for it. Shouldnt be too hard after the transmission tunnel is removed. I think there are two types of plunger, one is adjustable with shims and the other is not and may need replacing. However, if you are lucky, they might just need greasing up...

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would give you all a big thank-you for all the help I've had in this and other problems. Finally got around to taking out the plunger, if nothing else the bottom of where the gear stick was full of rusty mud and the plunger I will take apart tonight, but first impressions are this could be the culprit as it is covered in sh*t and the plunger itself will only push in 1-2mm, so fingers crossed I may even get away with a good clean :)

Thanks All

Paul

sorry, im back :( after taking apart the housing for the reverse gear plunger i discovered no circlip, not a biggy ill get one 2morra, but a question, when i put the regreased and cleaned plunger and spring in, great i now have about 1cm of travel, but when i put the large screw, ball bearing and spring, not even fully tightened in it all goes stiff again, this is only under finger pressure, is this right and will it let me select reverse when its all back together or should i just get a whole new unit?

cheers Paul

don't forget you have more leverage when selecting reverse with the gear lever,

lubricate with multi purpose grease & fit the short spring/plunger & circlip first, then lube the detent ball,spring & loctite 290 the end cap threads & fit to body.

plunger when pushed in should be reseatd by the spring, if it doesn't operate then I suggest the springs are weak & need replacing

don't forget you have more leverage when selecting reverse with the gear lever,

lubricate with multi purpose grease & fit the short spring/plunger & circlip first, then lube the detent ball,spring & loctite 290 the end cap threads & fit to body.

plunger when pushed in should be reseatd by the spring, if it doesn't operate then I suggest the springs are weak & need replacing

WA HAAAYYYYYYY,

We have reverse!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D , small things make me happy, reverse finally works and so does the reverse light, phew.

Thanks for all the help guys, wouldnt have known where to start without you

paul

fitted to the side of the gear lever housing, you have to remove the gearbox tunnel panel to access it

Or Foolishly do as I did and remove the gear lever etc and then struggle to get a spanner in, which eventually works but probably takes 3 hours longer :rolleyes:

Paul