Power steering on a series???

T1G UP

anyone converted a series 2a/3 to power steering using standard lr parts???

done a search to no avail

Check out the p38a steering box - fits outside the chassis rail.

Otherwise trawl through the forum, it has been covered several times.

I can't get the search to work either.

G.

I have done it. I allready had a v8 and rangie axles so im not sure if any other series stuff will clash but I had to cut out the front X memeber remove all the series stearing box and replace the steering coloum with a rangie one. As for the pump I drilled and tapped a few holes in the block and made a bracket to take the pump. Mounting the box wasnt too difficult but as someone else has said it does take alot of work with the gas axe and welder!

Y used in my SIII 109 this type of HD from a 4x4 International Scout

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/PowerSteering.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7kIG7FfxU

That looks very interesting using a LHD Scout box on a RHD Land Rover. Trouble is I could only find 1 full system on Flebay US and no box only at all.

My Series 1 has a Rover P5 box but spares are getting difficult.

Marc.

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting a not so old thread instead of starting another new one, I'm seriously looking/plan to convert my hybrid to power steering.

With some internet research done, it appears today the preferred power steering box to use is that from a P38. The ease of it bolting to the outside of the frame rail eliminates much fabrication work.....But then again, to find confirmed factual information is hard to find. :unsure: Apparently one of the LR guru's from the states (Timm Cooper) has been using the P38 box with success for some time now....But again it's only word of mouth, no pictures or write ups to be found anywheres. :rolleyes:

As suggested by Jerry I'm considering to use these parts on my series 3 hybrid (RHD); Defender steering column with steering wheel and Defender steering linkage coupled to the P38 power steering box. As for the drag link, I'm still looking but I'm thinking along the lines that having a Defender front axle, it I believe is the same width as a P38 front axle. So if that is true I should be able to use a P38 drag link to couple the steering to the front hub.

FF, you make the comment "I thought the P38 method would foul the tyre on articulation?" How do you figure this? I may not be following you, if the pitman arm moves with the tire how would it foul with the tire?..... (It s general question FF so that I can eliminate all grey areas before fab work begins) ;)

Todd.

Timm Cooper's 107 is rather, um, special so I wouldn't take it as an indication that a mod will fit a standard truck. He's the only person I know of who's running a P38 box.

FF, you make the comment "I thought the P38 method would foul the tyre on articulation?" How do you figure this? I may not be following you, if the pitman arm moves with the tire how would it foul with the tire?..... (It s general question FF so that I can eliminate all grey areas before fab work begins) ;)

The arm moves but the box & input shaft are still going to be in the same place. Given the wheel can foul the leaf spring at full lock, I was just curious as to how close it would all get.

IMHO the most popular & successful conversion is still the standard RR/Disco/Defender box in the usual place - after all, it's what Land Rover did. Loads of people running that, and have been for years. I wanted more strength in the sector shaft so fitted a D2 box but that's a minor difference really.

Now I'm not following you - how does spring type affect how close the wheel/tyre gets to the chassis/shaft/box on full lock?

Ja your right John, your not following me. You wrote "Given the wheel can foul the leaf spring at full lock", I was understanding what you have wrote. With the coil springs, I don't have that bit of metal out front to worry about. ;)

Todd.

Yeah, I meant "Given the wheel can foul the leaf spring (which is inline with the chassis) at full lock (maybe hanging a PAS box on the outside of the chassis could lead to the tyre rubbing it or other steering components)"

The voices in my head don't always come out right :unsure:

A p38's chassis narrows though doesn't it ? (must look when i'm next under it!).

The best method in a series, is to move the front x member forward and stick to a normal def / disco / rrc setup.

Gordon

Yeah, I meant "Given the wheel can foul the leaf spring (which is inline with the chassis) at full lock (maybe hanging a PAS box on the outside of the chassis could lead to the tyre rubbing it or other steering components)"

The voices in my head don't always come out right :unsure:

But the steering box is mounted well aft of where the tyres can contact the chassis, about half way between the axle centre line and the wheel rim. The P38 box is much more reliable and I believe it give lighter steering than the Adwest units, and also has bolt holes that fit within the Series chassis profile, but if a P38 unit is not available, a LHD Adwest box could be fitted in much the same way on RHD vehicles (and vice versa).

• 1 month later...

anyone converted a series 2a/3 to power steering using standard lr parts???

done a search to no avail

Uesd defender 94 steering colume/wheel,range rover power steering pump only part was not LR was the steering pump was out of a 60 series toyota that was on a 2a doing the same tro a 5 door safari 58 wagon.

Doug's 58 4x4