Crankcase breather??

Hi, I've got a 200TDI. And I was wondering if the breather pipe that goes from the side of the engine to the air intake pipe can be disconnected and a to atmosphere filter used instead?

I ask as it seems to blow a fair bit of oil through there, which in turn goes thru the turbo and intercooler.

This is the pipe in question:

breather.jpg

And I was thinking I might be able to fit one of these to it somehow instead of directing it back into the air intake?

pipercross-breather-filter-145.jpg

Thanks.

It's doing exactly as designed, if you vent it to outside it may leave oil residue on the road & therefore be a danger to other road users,

vent it into a collector bottle within the engine bay instead & blank of the connection to the air intak,

if it's leaving lots of oil in the air filter, then your engine needs looking at & possibly rebuilding.

You should always use a PCV Valve on any pipework to a breather or catch tank. Normally this would stop back pressure from the intake system making it's way into the oil system but in an open system it would also help stop water from wading etc getting into your engine oil.

It's doing exactly as designed, if you vent it to outside it may leave oil residue on the road & therefore be a danger to other road users,

I'll take it you despise the earlier motors that have no such things then? :ph34r:

Fit a proper oil separator

:)

Here's what I did:

OIL SEPARATOR

Michele is right on the money. What he (and I) has, provides far superior performance to catch cans.

Where I am, and I assume where you are, it would not be legal to vent to atmosphere.

The air vented from the crankcase has been shown to contain many particles that can't be seen by eye. The filter Michele provided a link to, was developed for truck engines to be able to remove those small particles, to increase life of turbos while complying with closed crankcase ventilation requirements.

Michele is right on the money. What he (and I) has, provides far superior performance to catch cans.

Where I am, and I assume where you are, it would not be legal to vent to atmosphere.

The air vented from the crankcase has been shown to contain many particles that can't be seen by eye. The filter Michele provided a link to, was developed for truck engines to be able to remove those small particles, to increase life of turbos while complying with closed crankcase ventilation requirements.

Cheers.

either of you guys know where you can buy these and what sort of money they are?

Thanks.

I'd suggest you to contact/check M+H UK and see where the closest dealer is.

I bought mine from a tractor parts dealer ;)

Spare element is €40, can't remember how much for the canister...

• 1 month later...

Michele

Just found a second hand one on Ebay.............wink.gif

Do you have a schematic of how you plumbed it in ?

Trying to work out what the "T" goes into the return to the sump ?

Many thanks

Regards

Les