Which Battery

Hi everyone. I'm a new member here although I have been lurking for a while.

I have bought an old C reg 90 pickup with plans to stick it on a new chassis and fix it up a bit. Problem number one though is that it needs a new battery. At the moment I have to trickle charge it for a couple of hours before I can move it.

My question is, what specification battery do I need. I get the feeling the one in it already is not big enough. It is the 12J N/A diesel, but I am planning on doing a 200tdi conversion, so I guess a battery for the latter is the one I need info on.

Great site, I am looking forward to becoming an active member.

Ok I admit I'm a bit confused when it comes to batteries at the best of times, is there a difference between using a standard battery as opposed to a leisure battery for stating the motor? As the link is for a leisure battery type.

Cheers Mutley

They are more or less the same thing.

Basically lead acids come in two main types, "starter" and "traction".

Starter batteries have a large surface area and thin plates, giving huge CCA values, but the thin plates mean they dislike being heavily discharged and will eventually fail if cycled too many times. (this is why an old battery will often struggle along until something happens and it ends up flat, then it wont take a charge any more)

Traction batteries are designed for much lower peak current outputs, and as a result have much thicker plates with less surface area. The thicker plates mean they withstand many many full discharge-recharge cycles.

Leisure batteries are simply starter batteries, sometimes modified a little inside to try and make them a bit more resiliant to deep discharge, and sometimes just plain old starter batteries labelled up differently. They are nothing like traction batteries however, so they're not truly designed to be discharged and recharged repeatedly.

Thanks Oakesy, my dad has a Costco card. I'll check it out.

Juz, those batteries look good. Plenty of 5 star reviews. Thanks

My original lasted a while until the dreaded winter :( arrived and the slow march of hello :huh: :huh: :unsure: crept in. But they are good. :D :D :P :P :P:lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I too took the advice above and ordered from Tayna - superb service, friendly and helpful on the phone and the battery arrived (filled and charged) in excellent packaging, less than 24 hours later :)

Well done Tayna!