Disco 1 rear floor - to weld or not to weld

Puffernutter

That is the question!

I am about to put the rear floor in the disco having removed all the tin worm and replaced the side and rear supports. The previous floor and I assume like all Disco 1 floors was spot welded. To allow me to do a really good job with the rustproofing I'd really like to bolt this floor in (using M6 screws threaded into the supporting rails and bottom nutted where accessible). This means that I wouldn't need to use any more heat in that area - any thoughts. It can't be structural, otherwise it would have been seam welded last time, but I can see how it binds and strengthens the back of teh car.

Thoughts please - will a bolted floor pass an MOT?

Cheers

Peter

That is the question!

I am about to put the rear floor in the disco having removed all the tin worm and replaced the side and rear supports. The previous floor and I assume like all Disco 1 floors was spot welded. To allow me to do a really good job with the rustproofing I'd really like to bolt this floor in (using M6 screws threaded into the supporting rails and bottom nutted where accessible). This means that I wouldn't need to use any more heat in that area - any thoughts. It can't be structural, otherwise it would have been seam welded last time, but I can see how it binds and strengthens the back of teh car.

Thoughts please - will a bolted floor pass an MOT?

Cheers

Peter

If you have removed the whole of the spot welded panel you are allowed, according to the MOT Testers Manual, to fit the replacement panel by plug welding it. A lot less heat than seam welding and possibly easier than bolting if you have a welder.

It would appear it will pass the MOT given that the part is non-structural, but there have been countless other threads commenting on the merits of welding/riveting/bolting etc. etc.

I suggest you go with whatever you're most comfortable with. I had mine welded as I believe it would be the strongest result. Others haven't.

Thanks for all the replies. My desire not to weld, was not so much as as an issue of strength (or my lack of welding skills!), but that it meant I could fully waxoil/paint/underseal that whole area (with the floor out) and not worry about having to either clean it off for welding, setting fire to it when welding or just having to get back under there having welded to seal it all again having burnt it off!

It would appear that the lip between the floor and the runner it sits on are prime areas for holding moisture (based on the old floor!), so if I can seal that well, then bolt it without worrying about heat affecting the protection that's fine.

If I use an M6 screw then it's easy enough. A 5mm drill through both panels followed by a spiral HSS M6 tap is simple enough - I may even have some drill/tap combined in which case it's even easier.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Peter

Hi

I Rivetted mine without any problems with regards to the man fom the ministry and with an air rivetter it was so easy. I did speak to the tester beforehand and he was happy for me to do it that way, he said that as it was on a chassis there would not be a problem and that the reason it fails when rusty is basically due to exhaust fumes being able to enter the vehicle.

Andy

Well, the MoT tester at my local LR Garage disagrees. He failed it (amongst other things) because the boot floor wasn't welded. He maintains it offers structural integrity to the rear seat belt fixings and then to make his point, he came put with a tape measure and stated that he would fail it on the rear seat belt fixing on the arch as it was an "improper" repair within 30cm. We didn't come to blows (quite) but we have fallen out and I won't be going back there again!

So, what are the views of this forum - have the rules changed, should I weld or tray another MoT testing station?

Cheers

Peter

My boot floor on the RRC is a standard (for the year) corrugated aluminium panel - I'd like to see anyone weld that in.

I always thought that the directions that the MoT tester is given contain car specific information as to what is considered structural (eg sills) or not - is that not the case?

Well, the MoT tester at my local LR Garage disagrees. He failed it (amongst other things) because the boot floor wasn't welded. He maintains it offers structural integrity to the rear seat belt fixings and then to make his point, he came put with a tape measure and stated that he would fail it on the rear seat belt fixing on the arch as it was an "improper" repair within 30cm. We didn't come to blows (quite) but we have fallen out and I won't be going back there again!

So, what are the views of this forum - have the rules changed, should I weld or tray another MoT testing station?

Cheers

Peter

Don't the seatbelt anchor to the chassis not just the floor?

Yes but, no but, yes but, no but...

Yes, seat belts pass through the floor and anchor to the chassis.

But, his point was that if I won the argument on the rear seat belts that pass through the floor, he would fail it next time because my floor joint comes within 300mm of the OTHER rear set belt mount on the wheel arch and he would class that as an "inadequate repair". :(

Cheers

Peter