Had a free morning, and played with an Angle Grinder

StuRox

Well, lots of people will ask why I bothered, but as I picked up a set of D2 facelift headlights for cheap off ebay, as they had knackered reflectors (Full of mud) , I thought why not...

So stripped down the headlights, cleaned them all up, even installed some LED Daylight Running lights, and put in some SMD LED clusters for the Side Light and Indicator Light, and then got them onto my 300.

I know it will not be a D2 by changing the lights, but I like the look of them better than the 300's and she past her MOT with flying colours so thought I would do something that wasn't a necessity for a change

normal_4~1.JPG

normal_5~0.JPG

normal_6~0.JPG

normal_1~1.JPG

normal_2~0.JPG

normal_3~1.JPG

how easy a job was it to fit them? looks well nice and was considering some for mine at some point

If you are ok using an angle grinder, and are confident to hack away at the body work, then fine lol

A lot of metal has to be removed, and I also had to fabricate a bracket for one of the top bolts of the lights....so not a direct replacement shall we say - but it is possible....just a lot of work.....as I take the view take off a little, and then you can take off some more - so probably took me a bit longer doing it that way, but a better finish....

I did the lights one at a time and probably spent an evening on each light, but that was in the comfort of the garage, and not open to the elements, since it started to rain half way through!

Thanks, had the lights since Christmas debating whether to put them on or just sell them, given the amount of work I needed to do, and if I messed up, would have been knackered, but after seeing the end result, really pleased that I did it :)

Hi all

I used those LED strips for the interior lights fitted in the Alpine light cut-outs, got them off e-blag for 99p each plus £1:19 postage. When switched on they are brilliant, I had two per side to start with but went down to one as shown in the picture. The next job is to 'modify' a front interior light unit so that I can turn them off altogether when not required.

gallery_19119_1009_27001.jpg

The picture was taken in the dark with the flash turned off and once I took the two bulbs out of the standard interior lights it was just as good in the back. Just one gripe, I need to sort out some decent double sided tape to fix them in, they keep falling off! Will probably have to cable tie the ends to the panels too.

Andy

Stu, That is a very very nice mod. Subtle mods are always the best. ;)

If it was me, I'd lose the bullbars but that's just my preference.

A full How-To if you fancy changing over to the facelift headlights can be found here: Disco 1 Headlight Conversion

I've got a few subtle mods myself. I'll take some piccies of the lower vent grills I did a few weeks ago. Probably post them later too, see what you think.

Stu, That is a very very nice mod. Subtle mods are always the best. wink.gif

If it was me, I'd lose the bullbars but that's just my preference.

A full How-To if you fancy changing over to the facelift headlights can be found here: Disco 1 Headlight Conversion

I've got a few subtle mods myself. I'll take some piccies of the lower vent grills I did a few weeks ago. Probably post them later too, see what you think.

This write up is for a D2 hedlight conversion but it would be similar. IIRC the front wings also need modifying.

Andy

Yes, thats the one I followed.

Basically you cut out the light box, line up the light, and then keep cutting until it fits....

The wings you have to square off at the top, and that's what took the time, to get them to line up nicely.

Here's a couple of very subtle mods I did, these cost very little, but really do look nice and compliment each other well.

Lower Vent Grills and Black and Silver LR Badge to match

Dsc_013740-1.jpg

Dsc_013840-1.jpg

I've got to be honest, Stu's post has got me on the look out for facelift headlamps now!!!! :rolleyes: