Registering my ex-MOD Tavern

plasticbadger

So, I'm progressing with my ex-MOD Tavern rebuild (build thread) and I'm starting to think about registering it.

I should have in my posession shortly the military Form 654 showing the military reg number and the into service date, but I can't find a chassis number on the truck, I do have paperwork relating the reg to my truck. The truck itself will have the original un-modified Tavern chassis, running gear and front part of the body with a civilian spec cab replacing the original armoured body. So can anybody answer:

The way I understand it I don't need an SVA or IVA, just an MOT, plus the DVLA may ask for a VIC to confirm the vehicle identity, which I have kept as good a track of as possible without a chassis number.

The vehicle is 6800kg GVW, so do I need to get it plated prior to registration, as part of the first MOT?

Has anyone got experience of registering ex-MOD vehicles who can help?

No experience with MOD vehicles, but as it is over 3.5 tonnes GVW you are correct in saying it will need a plate, you will also need to fill out a VTG10 form (notifiable alteration) as you have changed the bodywork. Does it have a Vin plate on the cab anywhere? If so as long as this matches the paperwork you have from the MOD you should have no problem getting a plating certificate and goods vehicle test certificate

HTH

Tony

No experience with MOD vehicles, but as it is over 3.5 tonnes GVW you are correct in saying it will need a plate, you will also need to fill out a VTG10 form (notifiable alteration) as you have changed the bodywork. Does it have a Vin plate on the cab anywhere? If so as long as this matches the paperwork you have from the MOD you should have no problem getting a plating certificate and goods vehicle test certificate

Hi Tony, VTG10 doesn't specifically detail the change in body, only changes in tyres, braking, load rating etc. Wouldn't I just need form VTG1 for a first test of a HGV, or do you have experience of using VTG10 for body type changes? I am in effect changing the body from 'armoured car' back to 'chassis cab' as the VIN would refer to. The DVLA will have no record of the truck as an armoured car.

I don't have any VIN or chassis number at the moment, it seems this is all on the cab of the Chevrolet and was removed when the armoured body was fitted. Hopefully, if the paperwork from the MOD has the VIN, or I can find it once the chassis is cleaned up I should be able to identify the specification by refering the number to the information I have from GM. This will give me axle loadings etc as required for the plate.

Hi Tony, VTG10 doesn't specifically detail the change in body, only changes in tyres, braking, load rating etc. Wouldn't I just need form VTG1 for a first test of a HGV, or do you have experience of using VTG10 for body type changes? I am in effect changing the body from 'armoured car' back to 'chassis cab' as the VIN would refer to. The DVLA will have no record of the truck as an armoured car.

I don't have any VIN or chassis number at the moment, it seems this is all on the cab of the Chevrolet and was removed when the armoured body was fitted. Hopefully, if the paperwork from the MOD has the VIN, or I can find it once the chassis is cleaned up I should be able to identify the specification by refering the number to the information I have from GM. This will give me axle loadings etc as required for the plate.

We have to use a VTG10 every time we take an existing box body off a commercial vehicle and build a horse box body in its place.

I concur that in you're situation a VTG1 will be necessary as you have no plate certificate, but you may well need the VTG10 as well

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...