Salisbury Axles....

v8bertha

Rather than blatently hijack Mr Troopers salisbury axle thread... :rolleyes:

The diff in a salisbury axle... :huh:

How easy are they to change, assuming no halfshafts in the way and no prop shaft connected?

Where would be the best place to get one?

Has anybody got one that hasn't got a mahoooooosive amount of "clonk" in it? :lol:

How much should I reasonabley expect to pay for one (assuming it is a do-able job)?

TIA.

Dan :D

Decent drum braked salisbury can be picked up cheap as chips. Just sold a pair of good ones for £50. Seems not to be much of a call for them as they almost never break. I think the diffs are the same as the disc braked ones, I'm assuming your is disc braked.

How easy are they to change, assuming no halfshafts in the way and no prop shaft connected?

If you have the knack - very easy. Needs one spanner and a crow-bar. Takes <5 mins.

If you get one - I'll show you.

All the talk of spreaders etc - nonsense - not needed :)

Decent drum braked salisbury can be picked up cheap as chips. Just sold a pair of good ones for £50. Seems not to be much of a call for them as they almost never break. I think the diffs are the same as the disc braked ones, I'm assuming your is disc braked.

Does a drum braked axle have the same dif as a disk braked axle?

Edited to add:

DOH... just read your post again, ignore me! :ph34r:

Yep, mine is disk braked.

So assuming Andy is right and I don't need to do any "spreading" :lol::ph34r: I reckon I may be on the lookout for one!

Cheers chaps! :)

All 110 (disc and drum braked) and stage one salisburys are 3.54 ratio.

The 109 salisburys are 4.7

Superb... just the sort of thing I'm gonna need to know if I'm gonna be on the lookout for a replacement! Cheers Mark90 :D

Fridge... Are you sure you don't want to swap that diff for my one... I'll even throw in some free "clonk" for ya :lol: B)

Dan :)

Mark 90 - Stage 1 V8's had a normal 109 rear axle with 3.54:1 diff and the bigger brakes. Edited to add: Obviously the front also had a 3.54:1 diff, some places rekcon it was 4-pin too but I'm not sure. The front was a Rover axle also with the bigger brakes.

Dan - I don't need any clonk thanks. Ask Guy, he has changed axles and things recently, he might have a servicable unit (OK, perhaps not...) I did give him my good spare diff, dunno if he used it or just put it on the shelf?

As far as I know, you cannot just swap the diff centres between salisbury's, if that's what you are thinking of doing. Ring and pinions are matched and stamped, pinions have to be set at a specific height depending on there markings. So you need to completely dissasemble.

All salisbury's have 4 pin centres and are hypoid, that's why there so strong.

If you are swapping diffs to get rid of the clonking, are you sure its the diff and not the driveshaft/drive flange, common wear problem, I believe racers weld them together!

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but worth checking drive flanges first.

Andy

As far as I know, you cannot just swap the diff centres between salisbury's, if that's what you are thinking of doing. Ring and pinions are matched and stamped, pinions have to be set at a specific height depending on there markings. So you need to completely dissasemble.

All salisbury's have 4 pin centres and are hypoid, that's why there so strong.

If you are swapping diffs to get rid of the clonking, are you sure its the diff and not the driveshaft/drive flange, common wear problem, I believe racers weld them together!

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but worth checking drive flanges first.

Andy

Ahhhh ha.... Yes, somebody did mention about drive flanges some time ago... I completely forgot! :lol:

I will check them first.

Jules... Guy did his to get rid of the clonk, so I can only assume the one he replaced has just as much as mine, but thanks for the info anyway.

Dave... Thanks for the offer. I'll let ya know once i've had a look at some flanges :blink::ph34r::lol: Don't ya just love that word!!

Cheers boys and girls :B