Plastic front inner wings for defenders

New Defenders have plastic front inner wing liners. I know 'cos I've seen them on 09 and 10 plate vehicles.

1. Does anyone know how easily they will fit earlier vehicles - in my case it's a 1990 90? Our next door neighbour has just bought a brand-new 90 so I'll have a look under his bonnet over the weekend, but has anyone already tried this?

2. Anyone got any idea what the part numbers are, and a recommendation for a supplier who will do mail order?

TIA

Nick.

Although you don't say where you are... I've got a pair sitting here that I was going to use on my 200tdi 90 but then didn't. Make me an offer!

Just to be clear, I too bought them thinking that they were liners for the front inner wing, but they are infact the actual inner wing (previously made in galv steel) in plastic.

Although you don't say where you are... I've got a pair sitting here that I was going to use on my 200tdi 90 but then didn't. Make me an offer!

Just to be clear, I too bought them thinking that they were liners for the front inner wing, but they are infact the actual inner wing (previously made in galv steel) in plastic.

Have sent you a PM, but not sure if it's got through! Pls post here if you did not get it and I'll try again.

Nick,

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up to complete the tale.

I got the plastic inner wings (thanks, Chadler!) and have now fitted them. Basically, this has gone without a hitch - they are a straight replacement for the previous metal ones and all the mounting holes align (as much as anything ever does on a LandRover!).

They seem to have more holes in than actually required, so I have made some patches (using a piece of old plastic chopping board and some of Mr 3M's bestest, stickiest double sided tape - we'll see how long they last) to stop water and mud getting jetted into the engine compartment.

One thing which is a bit strange is that they have a cut out at each end which at the rear end exposes the front outrigger to any mud or water thrown up by the tyres, so that the gap between the outrigger and the underside of the footwell is bound to get filled with wet mud. I can see no benefit or reason for this, but it's definitely the way that LandRover intended them to be since the liners on my neighbour's 10 plate Defender are identical. The hole is not covered by the standard mud flaps (which hang below the outrigger) so I have made some longer flaps out of old conveyor belt which are fastened to the inner wing and go down below the outrigger, so hopefully this should keep the worst of the carp from filling the hole.

Nick.

Just a follow up to complete the tale.

I got the plastic inner wings (thanks, Chadler!) and have now fitted them. Basically, this has gone without a hitch - they are a straight replacement for the previous metal ones and all the mounting holes align (as much as anything ever does on a LandRover!).

They seem to have more holes in than actually required, so I have made some patches (using a piece of old plastic chopping board and some of Mr 3M's bestest, stickiest double sided tape - we'll see how long they last) to stop water and mud getting jetted into the engine compartment.

One thing which is a bit strange is that they have a cut out at each end which at the rear end exposes the front outrigger to any mud or water thrown up by the tyres, so that the gap between the outrigger and the underside of the footwell is bound to get filled with wet mud. I can see no benefit or reason for this, but it's definitely the way that LandRover intended them to be since the liners on my neighbour's 10 plate Defender are identical. The hole is not covered by the standard mud flaps (which hang below the outrigger) so I have made some longer flaps out of old conveyor belt which are fastened to the inner wing and go down below the outrigger, so hopefully this should keep the worst of the carp from filling the hole.

Nick.

Thanks for closeing this out, do you have any photo's of your new inner wings at all? How do they feel structurally?

No pictures, I am afraid - the camera was elsewhere when I did this bit. I'll maybe try to get some at the weekend and post them next week.

They are very wobbly when on their own, but now they are fitted and fastened in all the right places they feel very solid, and I'm very pleased with them.

Nick.