Further afield forum foray?

GBMUD

So, as the title says, we have had forum trips to Wales a few times, both greenlaneing and, with the J33p club, to Seven Sisters. How about going further afield next time? I am thinking perhaps a trip to the Pyrenees. I have never been but I know some forum members have and I would dearly love to go - but rather in a group than alone. :)

I am not looking for a solid commitment, just really to see who would be interested in something and when they would like to go. My preference would be next spring some time - after the snow had melted but before the summer tourist season starts. I guess that makes it between about April and June. I am guessing that a trip will take about a week to allow for travel there and back and a few days laneing in between - it can be done in one day but two is more comfortable. Do we prefer to go over Easter/half term and take the spouse/kiddies too or avoid the hols and therefor get cheaper ferries and less crowded roads/campsiter/hotels? Do we prefer camping or hotel accomodation? I am fairly easy as there is no way I am taking the family! :)

Your thoughts please.

Chris

SWMBO and I have been talking about a trip to Portugal for about 5 years now and we're still no nearer going!!

If my plans for the Rangie come off, we'd be up for a trip like that.

I'd say grown ups only, but I am biased ;) .

Your timing is good too - nothing worse then going anywhere in tourist season!

I'd be up for this, it's the sort or trip I have been after doing for ages, either alps or pyrenees, just not got round to it :unsure:

Outside of tourist season, easter and school holidays suits me - easier to get time off work, cheaper and quieter.

Camping or (cheap) hotels would be fine by me. I guess people could choose either, although that may not be so 'sociable'.

I've not been to the Pyrenees proper, but I've been to the Picos de Europa (foothills of the Pyrenees just off the NE corner of Portugal - only about twice the height of Ben Nevis :) ). I was caving not laning, but there were certainly some tracks up there that made the likes of the Gap Road look like a trip to Tescos.

I'd be interested.

If I promise not to be too much of a hindrance and not drive down too many gullies can I come too? :P

In other words, yeah I would be very much interested...

Personally I would like to go out of holidays - cheaper ferries/accomodation and no kids around! Would probably prefer camping to hotels - again from a cost point of view - but would generally go with whatever the concensus is...

cheers

Mark

If you want greenlaning the pyrennees or Alps are great, if you want more, Try the Lousa Trial in Portugal, (every type of 'froadin including night section 3 days) or the Trophy Cevenol in France (Blow your socks off for 3 1/2 days) there are more out there it just needs more research. Best Regards

I wouldn't mind doing this. Always fancied Iceland mainly, but France is good. Last time I was there (a good few years ago now), a French Policeman pointed his gun at me! :(

Les.

And he said

"Les Enson..Eye will zay theze onlay wunce, we believe ewe ave stolen the fallen madona wiz ze big boobies and we will catch ewe wen u reveal yoreself.....(again!)" :D

Chris I can point you to a superb guide/hotels

Michele organises the routes/food/hotels all for very reasonable money

we had a superb 10days when we went.

French Pyrenees were far more intresting the the Spanish side IMHO

Sounds like a fantastic trip, although I doubt I'll be able to afford it next year - maybe 3 or 4 years time!

As Tony says, the French side is much better. Went there last year walking with some mates and the scenery is amazing. We went over to the spanish side one night and it seemed dead (although we were in a ski resort sort of area, I guess they don't do summers) - only 1 restaurant was open in the 4 or 5 towns we went through and the food was awful! Nice waitress though ;)

Had some kind of animal moving festival that night too, so at 11pm there were thousands of animals on the roads over the mountains. Had to wait for 500 cows to go past, then 2 minutes down the road there'd be 500 sheep coming towards you! So based on that experience I'd stay well clear!

One or two pics....

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

Most tracks we saw were like this - just rocky paths up mountains but the views were amazing :D

Richard

Aren't you a little old for camping Dave?:P I'm not dragging that leviathon of a motorhome round you know. ;)

Chris

That is camping Chris but not as you know it :D:D

That will drag the LR down there for me and I will leave it at site as near as I can to the action. Any way the new ones a bit smaller only 30ft not 33ft long. :lol:

There are 1000's of miles of routes in Spain - all legally driveable with very few restrictions on camping...

I have still got all the routes mapped out in the Sierra Nevada, Aragon high deserts, western Nevada, the Area around Cordoba, Leon and Seville and a few others from when I was working for ******. We used the same routes for one or two other 4x4 manufacturers as well.

One of the routes, about 60 miles form Gib runs 340 kms inland through the mountains without seeing a single tarmac road.

One of the guys I worked with is an expat who lives in the Sierra Nevada and would swap a guided tour for parts...

Thinking about it, I have kept in touch with a Land Owner on the way to Jerez who's estate we used a lot for training. He owns most of a small mountain range - doesn't charge for use