Sankey trailer legalities

sharpy

Hi all,

just a few questions, im in the process of returning a Sankey trailer to its original state, i know i will be corrected if im wrong, but here goes...............the convoy light at the very rear, outside the tub on the left as you look at the back , i assume because of what its called was used by the military so you could see the vehicle in front? and secondly its not a number plate light? I seem to have another of these lights under the chassis just above a piece of metal sheet around 4inch by 10inch which i again assume is the number plate mounting?

So ultimately my final question is if the under side plate and light is, where the number plate used to be, can this still be used legally for the number plate and because of its age can i display a black and silver plate on my trailer?

cheers Paul

number plate was fitted to the rear face of the body, not under the trailer,

the convoy light shone forward on to a white painted disc under the trailer, similar to the convoy light of LR & other army trucks, so the light lit the white disc so that following drivers could see where the rear of the vehicle in front was when driving without normal roadlights on.

Your trailer MUST wear the same reg number & plate colour as your tow vehicle, if it's registered after 1973 IIRC the rear number plate must be black digits on a yellow background, BUT you can fit a silver/black plate for SHOW USE ONLY.

Your trailer MUST wear the same reg number & plate clour as your tow vehicle, if it's registered after 1973 IIRC the rear number plate must be black digits on a yellow background, BUT you can fit a silver/black plate for SHOW USE ONLY.

As above. the convoy light is underneath the one on the body is the numberplate.

As westy says your plate has to match the tow vehicle too.

In addition to this info, if your vehicle is older than 73 you can no longer buy new black/silver plates they have to be current yellow/black ones :( you can use the originals if that is what is fitted but the law changed IIRC Sept 2008 that any new plates had to conform with current standards and could no longer be black/silver.

read into this as you wish, my IIa lightweight is running around on silver/black plates ;)

G

Hi all,

just a few questions, im in the process of returning a Sankey trailer to its original state, i know i will be corrected if im wrong, but here goes...............the convoy light at the very rear, outside the tub on the left as you look at the back , i assume because of what its called was used by the military so you could see the vehicle in front? and secondly its not a number plate light? I seem to have another of these lights under the chassis just above a piece of metal sheet around 4inch by 10inch which i again assume is the number plate mounting?

So ultimately my final question is if the under side plate and light is, where the number plate used to be, can this still be used legally for the number plate and because of its age can i display a black and silver plate on my trailer?

cheers Paul

The piece of metal 4"x10" was painted white to reflect the convoy light to following vehicles ( same as rear diff cover on Land Rovers etc.) and was beneath the trailer body so it could not be seen from the air, you can still buy black and silver number plates with your trailers registration on it for show purposes only, whilst on the road the trailers number plate must be of the same standard as the towing vehicle and identical to it, the show plate must be removed or covered so it is not visible to other road users

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul

The convoy plate is the one in the middle underneath

The numberplate one is on the lft (or right) side - some are even in the middle of the body.

Left and right they are mounted on frames that are also inclkuding the indicators stop lights.

There are differences with older ones.

what you use on the plate manufacture is probably down to the registration of the vehicle - Pre M registered then you can go B/w, post that you should have a yellow one.

You are not supposed to space them in military fashion ie 2x 2x , but some people do and dont seeme to hget puylled up.

Mike B

25DM15

Series 2A

MFF544

• 1 month later...

In addition to this info, if your vehicle is older than 73 you can no longer buy new black/silver plates they have to be current yellow/black ones :( you can use the originals if that is what is fitted but the law changed IIRC Sept 2008 that any new plates had to conform with current standards and could no longer be black/silver.

You can still buy black and silver plates.

you can use the originals if that is what is fitted but the law changed IIRC Sept 2008 that any new plates had to conform with current standards and could no longer be black/silver.
You can still buy black and silver plates.

black and silver plates can only be supplied for pre 73 vehicles. official suppliers of plates would know this anyway (we use bestplate for ours, and they will only make them up for pre 73 vehicles - proper pressed ally too)

you can still buy show plates for any number in black and white, both acrylic and pressed, but they aren't road legal after '73.

IIRC they backed down on banning black n silver plates after pressure from the classic car clubs