Power steering box in 90

Turnip

Advice please? I have a 1985 Ex MOD 90, I have planted a 91 defender 200 tdi into it, when I converted I fitted the 6 bolt power steering box that was standard on the 91 90. Although I appreciate the power steering when backing a 3.5 ton trailer, I dont like it for driving at all! It has no feel, no feedback and feels like the manual box on ice? Now that box has started to leak - in fact just about every Defender or disco box I have ever seen over 2 days old seems to leak - is it just me? Anyway I have a 300 Tdi Disco box which isnt covered in oil.......can I fit that? 4 Bolt, has an extra external pipe? and the drop arm is kinked with the male end of a track rod in it - the defender one has a built in track rod end - why??

So has anyone actually done it and has anyone experienced this "over light " steering I have ? Im running Goodyear G90s on Wolf wheels.

ive had both a 4 and a 6 bolt box in my 90 with no difference to fitting it, far as i no the disco box is the same but has a different drop arm(bent on 90 straight on disco)..

some people convert the disco drop arm to fit the 90 as its a pain changing the ball joint on the 90 arm and they tend to eat them like its a hobby...

Well I did the swap from 6 bolt Gemmer to 4 bolt Disco 300 tdi today and fitted a QT supplies solid bar from the Disco straight arm to the wheel, this had a sliding clamp to pick up the existing Defender steering damper - I spoke to John at QT who told me what i needed and it all fitted well, cost a few bucks but John runs a Defender himself and gave me all the options - far better than dealing with some desk jockey who drives a shopping car!

Interestingly........... a lot of the leaks I was blaming on the 6 bolt Gemmer were actually the steering damper leaking from the end!! Renewed and all feels a lot better now!