Steering a bit odd?

davek0974

I fitted a recon steering box today, nice easy job. The only odd thing I can see is that it is easier to turn left than right. Its not stiff as such but easier to turn left.

There is no backlash and it all seems to be working ok. The track and drag link ends are also new.

Any thoughts ?

hey buddy

how did you bleed the system?

the best way is to take the cap off and slowly rotate the steering left to right. Do this at least a dozen times to get the air out,slow down to really slow when you reach each limit, this is where most of the air sits. The level will go up and down but make sure that it doesn't drop too low for the pick-up pipe. If you overfill the reservoir and there is still air trapped it can and will go everywhere.

something else to check, has it got the same lock left to right

jim

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, job done, took one hour start to finish this time, fitted another box after a chat with NPS, very helpful people.

The feel is definately balanced now, it appears the other one was over powering the left side as this one feels like the right-side before and also like the old box did so it should be about right i guess.

The pump is groaning a bit now but as the fluid is foamy, im guessing there is air in there still, i have had many strange noises come out of our hydraulic machines at work until the air settles after a service had been done.

Hopefully that is the end of the saga, if so, then i am very pleased with NPS as they have been very helpful both over the phone and in getting the replacement box dropped off the next day. The credit for the original one has now been processed by paddocks too so thats ok as well.

Dave

OK, this may seem a dumb question.... But I have almost 1/2 a turn of steering lock more one way than the other. How do I adjust that? The steering wheel is straight ahead. I noticed the other day that I could turn tighter one way than the other and then went looking for reasons. Only got as far as the steering lock difference.

The lock stops are set on both sides so that the tyre juuuuuust rubs lightly on the radius arms at full hard lock so that I get maximum wheel cut angles. My tyres have sidewall protection moulded in, so a bit of light rubbing won't hurt them...

Is there a process of 'centering' the steering box or something like that?

Yes there is.

On the box where the drop arm bolts, there is a hole cast into the ram body and two fingers cast onto the drop arm opposite the arm itself. I think the hole is 8mm and the idea is to turn the wheel until you can slip an 8mm rod into the hole and between the two fingers, this is the centre stop point for the pas box.

With the box locked, you can then get the steering wheel straight by unbolting and setting it right or undo the UJs at the box and slipping the joint off then refitting it with the wheel straight. Dont fret about getting it spot on as it's all splined and the chances of getting it dead on are nil.

Now you have the wheel right and the box right you can set the drag link to get the thing to go in a straight line :)

If the wheel needs to go left then shorten the drag link, about half a turn will pull the wheel from 1 o clock to 12 o clock.

Simples