How do you know when a propshaft needs changing?

reb78

The front prop on my 110 has some play in the UJ nearest the transfer box. I seem to remember reading somewhere that if there is a visible shiny ring around the area where the circlip is, it means the bearing cup has spun and the prop yoke is knackered - is this correct, as there is a shiny ring around the top of the bearing cup on one of the yokes of the worn UJ. Need to get the landy back on the road since i think the headgasket may have gone in my BMW tonight and the landy is currently SORNd awaiting minor repairs (the majority of which are gonna have to wait now while i fart around with a car i hate working on!).

What are the main reasons for replacing a prop shaft?

I'll look for play in the sliding joints and damage to the yokes (how do i determine the latter??), but is there anything else to check?

even worn yokes (within reason) shouldnt mean you need a new prop. The bearing cup wont spin in the yoke unless a) it is massively worn b) the bearings have siezed and the only movement possible is the bearing cup in the yoke.

so a bit of wear shouldnt stop you fitting new UJs and carrying on as normal. If you can drop the bearing cups straight in with your fingers... then i would be tempted to say it was worn enough to need a new prop. Otherwise fit new ujs with a good blob of grease in each cup before assembly and away you go.

I think this prop needs changing....

This is the front prop, the opposite end to the sliding joint. Its a shame, because the other end is fine and there is no play in the sliding joint. Guess i'll be driving the landy carefully with just the rear prop and diff engaged until the middle of next week (unless anyone can tell me of a garage in hertfordshire that is open for parts on a sat afternoon/sunday........

Image089.jpg

Image088.jpg

Here is a video of how easily the bearing cup slides in (this is the new UJ, so it should be tight!) - hopefully if you click on the image, it should play:

th_Video005.jpg

I probably wont try to repair it with chemical metal as i dont have to travel far for the next week and can hopefully get a replacement by next weekend and just use it for now with the rear prop.

What do people reccomend for/where to buy replacement props? I was going to try and get an OEM replacement manufactured by GKN like the original if possible. Are there any other alternatives/preferred options out there?

Do you have big, flexy suspension or a big lift?

If so, I'd go for some like the Gwyn Lewis ones (I have the rear :)).

If its not very flexy, or not a big lift, a standard prop should be fine :)

No. Its standard height suspension and will remain at that height i think. I have no need for a lift. I had considered the GL ones, but i dont think there is a need really. Thanks. I shall search out a standard prop tomorrow.

Have dropped him a line to see about cost. Are his ones uprated even for the standard setup?

His uprated props fit everything from non-lifted vehicles up to around a 2" lift I believe.

I have a pair of his on my standard height 90 (which will be staying standard height as I'm not a fan of lifts!), and they fit fine :)

Thanks all. Ordered one this morning from Gwyn. Best price i could get locally to me was £175 for a standard GKN replacement, so since Gwyns are uprated, the extra money is probably worth it (judging by all the positive comments!).

One quick question - i now have two spare UJs (since i didnt change them on the old prop in the end - i presume i can use these on my rear prop, but not on the new Gwyn Lewis one (not that the new prop should need anything other than grease for a very long time!)?

His uprated props fit everything from non-lifted vehicles up to around a 2" lift I believe.

I have a pair of his on my standard height 90 (which will be staying standard height as I'm not a fan of lifts!), and they fit fine :)

Retroanaconda is correct, non lifted up to 2" lift

I've just bought some and I can notice an immediate difference, the drive train feels so much smoother. I don't have a lift and other than having 265/75/16r tyres, my truck is standard.

Oh and Gwyn is a cracking chap, he even replied to my text asking what way round the props are fitted :lol:

Hope this helps

I've just bought some and I can notice an immediate difference, the drive train feels so much smoother. I don't have a lift and other than having 265/75/16r tyres, my truck is standard.

Fitted the new prop last night (it was freezing out there and my neighbours think i am mad!) but yes, the drivetrain feels noticeably smoother! Apprently a lot of those clunks were down to the worn old front prop!