200 tdi low power

L835

My 200 tdi 110 has struggled with even minor hills, putting out black smoke and crawling up at low speeds. I changed the air and fuel filters (twice) checked the lift pump, but none of these helped. It was only when I removed the fan shroud to fix an electric fan that I noticed the bottom intercooler hose was kinked. It wasn't helped by the dump valve from the air filter pushing on it too. The rubber hose hadn't been pushed 'home' onto the metal pipe and intercooler, making it kink and reducing the cross section considerably. Five minutes with a screw driver to fit it properly and a much healthier 200 tdi. Whilst it doesn't exactly romp up hills at least it puts out (slightly) less smoke and I can now contenplate taking the trailer out!

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem!

Richard

There is no case where a Rad Muff is needed. Even driving through Wyoming at 9000ft without a working heater fan at -11F windchill (when standing still, and blowing snow...) my 200TDI maintained a consistent coolant temperature of 180-200F and conditions don't get much worse than that. If you believe you need one the first step is to fit an actual temperature gauge. If the gauge is reading low (mine was sitting around 140F-160F when I initially fitted it) then your thermostat is leaking and replacement will correct the problem.

A muff will speed up how quickly things heat up but so will fitting a block heater and using it when things get cold.

To all those with an interest in muffs............ I stumbled across some new old stock old school radiator blinds. I have one fitted on my series one and it makes a big difference!

I carefully fitted a blind to my 90 which covers all the rad and about 25% of the intercooler. The blind is great because it is remote opperated from the bulkhead by a chain and can be locked at any opening.

This was back in the minus 8 C stuff that we had and I was looking forward to my 200 TDI 90 being toasty in the first mile rather than wait for 4 miles of country lanes before heat arrived.

The 200 TDI is standard and fitted with a new thermostat.

I can now report that fitting the blind - makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL! I thoght that even reducing the inrush of cold air would have some effect - but no - not a bit! The only possible difference is that the engine doesnt cool as quickly when stopped.

If you believe you need one the first step is to fit an actual temperature gauge. If the gauge is reading low (mine was sitting around 140F-160F when I initially fitted it) then your thermostat is leaking and replacement will correct the problem.

The muff does make the 200tdi heat up more quickly, but as you say a leaking thermostat may well be the cause and thinking about it, it of course makes sence. The block heater is working well, start up with the needle in the midle of the guage :D The unkinked intercolloer hose has inproved the mpg too :D

One thing that dramatically helped my performance was fitting an in-line electric diesel pump between the fuel pickup and the sedimentor, now when I hit the switch I know the loop is pressurized and there's no air getting in at all and bleeding has never been easier, I think it shot about 4' when I opened the bleed screw on the filter :) My MPG jumped and top end jumped and the lift pump does have pressure and is only about 30,000km old.