130 clutch plate

white90

Last time I asked someone who knew they said it was exactly the same size as a 110 clutch plate (IIRC 242 mm) but the 130 clutch has a slightly higher clamp load.

FYI, M&D do an oversized clutch kit (250 mm) that'd fit a 300tdi

HTH

Will as far as I understand the covers are the same and the plates differ slightly

nowt to do with clamping force.

I could be wrong

Yep, I've heard both. The last guy I spoke to said it was a common myth that the 130 clutch plate was bigger. I didn't do the clutch when it failed on the 90 (when it still had the 300) but I asked them to put a 130 plate in. When I picked it up they said they'd put the 130 plate in however it was the same as a 110 one.

I guess the only way to find out is the put them side by side.

Jay changed his last year and the 130plate was approx 1/2 and inch bigger in diameter around

I just purchased a kit and the plate is the same sime as the cover friction area, no bigger a plate could go in there so I'm guessing it is a 130 plate as I was told/led to believe the covers are the same

Guest diesel_jim
never heard that one

where's diesel Jim when you need him :)

Here i is!!!! :D

When i changed my clutch, i fitted a 130" plate. it was bigger, only by about 5 or 6mm, but when you take into account the total surface area (using 2 pi R) it works out at something like 30cm2 of friction surface area.

The cover plates are the same part number, so hence the same pressure applied, and the plate itself looked exactly the same as the 110 item (apart from the bigger diameter), same number of anti-shock spring things etc.

I'll have a trawl around the web, i posted it some years ago on the D-90.com site with all the dimensions.

Well I can tell you when the local independant swapped my 130 clutch last year, I went to collect it and it had a 110 clutch kit in it because it was cheqaper than a genuine 130 one from LR. It may have been cheaper but it didn't work!! I made them fit a 130 clutch kit which afterwards they admitted was 5 or 6mm different in size to a 110. I then had a clutch that worked properly!

• 1 month later...

Blimey..... what a polarver!

I've a LT85 mated to a 4.6 and an AP Racing clutch/pressure plate assembly same as the 110 racer...... goes like stink without any problems.

I think it would be perfectly safe to fit any 110 clutch bits into a 130 without issues....

• 3 months later...
A really good deal then Tony :i-m_so_happy: just had mine changed back in March BUT it started slipping in 4th & wouldn't pull past 2000rpm, took it back & had the garage fit another new B+B unit,seems to be OK now. :)

Well this one didn't last very long, flipping thing started slipping again round the same revs area, this time Les H & me fitted a new Valeo 130 8 spring friction plate & AP cover, new bearing & a Henson special beefed up fork, it's much better now & best of all drives properly, it had a good test run back home 230 odd miles. :i-m_so_happy:

FWIW. Clutch went on my 130 a couple weeks ago. Contacted the local independent and was at pains to make sure I got the correct 130 HD clutch. 'What do you want one of those for - they're carp!' was my mans response.

According to him, 130 clutches never wear out; they always fall to bits prematurely. Why? Don't know. But he advocated the fitting of a std 110 clutch kit instead. He'd replaced three 130 clutches recently that had just broken up. It was the cover plate on mine that had broken up. I replaced it with a 110 kit.

Plate on left is out of my own 130. Plate on right is replacement 110. Note spring differences. Didn't measure it so can't confirm any size differences

130clutch.jpg

Not quite. Knows he can't flannel me and to be fair him, really knows his stuff. Told me this about the 'alledged' 130 clutch problem before I had removed mine and sure enough, as predicted, the clutch components had failed prematurely rather than exhibited signs of wear.

Personally, couldn't give a monkey's. 110 clutch works fine. End off :) !

kev

This may be a daft question, but since 200TDi and V8 ones seem to be the same (IIRC), does that mean I could whack a 130 clutch into the 109 to gain a bit of extra grip? Don't want to go racing clutch as they're £££ and object to slipping which is not always what you need off-road.

one of the fella's on OL and AULRO, Justin, has a Land Rover garage and prefers B & B plates to Valeo, as he reckons the Valeo ones break up after time. He says they wear very well, just tend to fall apart, although to be fair some of his customers have gone well over 200,000km with the original clutch (both B & B and Valeo)

He uually fits 130 plates.

IIRC my 200Tdi's factory fitted Valeo plate did around 140,000 miles before it gave up, so I'll be more than happy if this Valeo [fitted last weekend] goes the same distance :)

I'm just about to click over 205,000km with the OE clutch, and I hope it keeps going for sometime yet. :D

(have I just put the mocca on myself ?? :blink: )