Intermittent rear wiper installation

i have just fitted a 40s delay relay to the rear wiper, what a difference for about 10mins work, it may mean that i even use it now not worrying about leaving it on constantly whislt it burns the motor out once the screen gets too dry between constant wipes.

all i need now is some rain to test it out........ oh yeah and to be inthe vehicle going somewhere!

whilst i was at it i also swapped the cigarette lighter and the RWW button around so even i can reach it from the driver seat, why is it some def have them different ways around,?

whilst i was at it i also swapped the cigarette lighter and the RWW button around so even i can reach it from the driver seat, why is it some def have them different ways around,?

don't understand why the rear wiper switch was put on the left, my mates 300Tdi 110 is the same, whereas my '89 110 has it nearest the driver huh.gif

the rear intermittent wash/wipe is a worth while addition biggrin.gif

Edited by western

I got one of the relays too, but i can't fit it because i think my rear wiper motor isn't quite the right one... i seem to remember when my brother owned the car, he replaced the motor with another one, but in true land rover fashion, the old one had four wires to connect it and the new one only three.... ever since then it has never self parked, and to make matters worse the switch has been rewired with non-standard colour wires, so i have absolutely where to start in A)wiring it properly, and B) fitting the relay. At least it works albeit at silly speed and with "manual-parking". Its one of those things i know i just will never get round to fixing.

My black 90 has very intermittent wipe and a new water saving feature called "no wash"... :rolleyes:

Intermittent delay varies from "nothing" to "weeks"...... but is a fairly low priority with the rest of the lists of STD.

You gotta luv 'em. ;)

i have just fitted a 40s delay relay to the rear wiper, what a difference for about 10mins work, it may mean that i even use it now not worrying about leaving it on constantly whislt it burns the motor out once the screen gets too dry between constant wipes.

Yep, one/two of the best and simplest mods I've made to mine.

My black 90 has very intermittent wipe and a new water saving feature called "no wash"... :rolleyes:

Intermittent delay varies from "nothing" to "weeks"...... but is a fairly low priority with the rest of the lists of STD.

You gotta luv 'em. ;)

The chap selling these on Ebay at present has been making them for years [simon Brown i think but his Ebay ident is deflan3]....I have had three from him for various Defenders and it really is only a 10 minute job. I think I first paid £5 including postage but £12.99, the current price, is still pretty reasonable. Never gone wrong!!

The usual question spring to mind......why did Land Rover not bother to fit one in the first place...cost would have been minimal and the outcome is a safety improvement.

Neil

Standard kit fits everything form series 3 to td5 that don't have the new centre console- its just them which need a different one. The kit on ebay is on a buy it now fixed price sale but i won't relist after it finishes 2nite as i get loads of people watching it but no one buys, so its a bit pointless relisting it :unsure: If any wants 1, PM me.

The vehicle wiring product one is no cheaper the time you add postage and vat and its only 5 sec delay which is way too frequent for the rear window. :P

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

(Please can a Mod. move this to the tech archive section if you think it appropriate. Some of the following is already there, but I don't believe it's all in once place, and AFAIK the bit about modifying the relay isn't anywhere on the internet before now.)

Modifying the rear wiper wiring on 200tdi era Defender to give intermittent wiper with approx. 40s wipe delay.

This is an account of last Monday's entertainment which I thought others might find useful.

This modification adds a modified AMR2431 delay relay into the rear window wiper circuit on 200TDi era Defenders to give an intermittent wipe function for the rear wiper. This is the wiper switch which its fitted to these vehicles:

med_gallery_22916_1179_13426.jpg

and this is the original wiring:

med_gallery_22916_1179_10630.gif

As originally supplied, the AMR2431 relay gives a wipe delay of around 5 seconds, which is far too short to use for the rear window. While it is possible to use a programmable delay relay such as the WV99, this means resetting the delay every time the rear wiper is used. Having a fixed delay is more convenient, so the following instructions include a modification to the AMR 2431 relay to change its time interval.

The AMR2431 relay is also set up to give four wipes when the screen wash button is pressed, and this feature is preserved by the following modification so only a single momentary press of the button is required to both wash and wipe the rear window.

Parts you will need are:

- A relay base such as part number RSI from Vehicle Wiring Products

- A 4.8mm female latching terminal to go with the base (WVP part No. FBL4)

- A male bullet connector

- An AMR2431 relay

- A 0.25W 100k resistor

- Thinwall wire in the correct colours (Black, Green, Red/Light Green, Yellow/Light Green, Black/Light Green, Brown/Light Green)

You will also need the right crimping tool for the terminals and bullets and a soldering iron.

You will need to decide where to put the relay in order to determine how much wire you will need - I put mine in behind a mount I have made for a rev counter in the centre of the dashboard so the wire lengths are only about 6 inches. If you want to mount the relay down by the fuse box then you will need around a metre of wire in each colour, and you will need to inveigle the wire into place behind the dash before putting the connectors on the end.

The relay base needs to be wired up like this:

med_gallery_22916_1179_2222.gif

(the connector on the green wire may also need to be a male bullet, depending on what else is installed in the dash).

Putting this together should result in something which looks a bit like this:

med_gallery_22916_1179_31388.jpg

The wiring is then changed as follows to install the relay base:

1. Take the red/light green and brown/light green wires off the switch;

2. Connect these wires to the same colour wires on the relay loom

3. Connect the yellow/light green wire from the relay to the top terminal on the switch (where the red/light green wire was originally fitted)

4. Disconnect the black/light green wires from the switch and plug the female spade connector on the end them on to the male spade connector with the green/black wire from the relay.

5. Plug the female spade connector on a green/black wire from the relay base on to the centre connection in the rear of the switch.

6. Connect the black and green wires from the relay base to corresponding coloured wires in the existing vehicle loom- there are take off points for this in the wiring behind the centre dash switches (where the wiper switch is fitted) but if you can't find them then green is a switched +ve and black is chassis.

The AMR2431 relay can be plugged in at this stage to check that the wiring is correctly installed.

To modify the relay to give a 40s delay, firstly carefully prise the red plastic top off the relay - it's glued on but not very firmly.

med_gallery_22916_1179_51682.jpg

This will reveal the circuit board. The resistor which sets the time delay is hidden underneath the solenoid/contact block so this needs to be removed to change the resistor. The pads for the resistor are circled in the picture below:

med_gallery_22916_1179_1069.jpg

and the resistor is circled here:

med_gallery_22916_1179_76751.jpg

This resistor is a very small (0.1W?) one but there is enough space to get a larger 0.25W resistor in its place. A value of 100k gives a delay of around 37 seconds - you can choose a lower value to have a slightly shorter delay or a higher value to have a longer one if you want to.

Here is the PCB with the 100k resistor fitted:

med_gallery_22916_1179_127361.jpg

When this is done and the solder joints are all neatly done (take care not to bridge between pads on the PCB) then the solenoid/contact block can be put back and the top glued back on the relay. The relay should then be a straight fit into the relay base and, hey presto, intermittent rear window wiper with a single press wash/wipe facility is all yours!