Heated seats

I would look for unused connectors in the battery tray - I would expect LR to have used a standard loom with a plug-in sub-harness to the seats. My late RRC had the electrics for heated seats and heated front screen (and most of the aircon wiring) despite being only a Vogue, not an SE, and not fitted with the actual units.

Has anyone fitted heated seats to a TD5

Wiring diagram shows that there should be connectors in the loom and under seats but can't find them

any ideas?

If it's wired for them, you can't miss the connectors.

This is where the connector (C1403) is mounted under the driver's seat -

2002MY-C1403RHHeatedSeat.jpg

This picture is for the 2007 Defender (same as the 2002, but the picture is a little clearer) -

2007MY-C1403RHHeatedSeat.jpg

Even if you don't already have the wiring for them, they should be fairly easy to wire up.

They are wired without relays (the switches switch them directly) but, if I was installing them, I would fit relays.

If you go for Genuine Land Rover Heated Seats, then the mating connectors for the vehicle side can be sourced from a BMW or VAG Dealer (I can give you the details if you need them).

If you fit an aftermarket kit, such as the Waeco Kit - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260722201375&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT - then the connectors are not an issue.

the wiring diagramm shows they should be there, but there not. Just thought someone may have had same problem and cut into loom to make connectors

The wiring diagrams show all options available, but not necessarily fitted to all vehicles.

Microcat shows around 150 part numbers for Defender Main Harnesses, the vast majority of which are for VIN XA (introduction of TD5) onwards.

There appears to be a harness for every permutation of options available for every market :o

If you go for Genuine Land Rover Heated Seats, then the mating connectors for the vehicle side can be sourced from a BMW or VAG Dealer (I can give you the details if you need them)

In response to a PM from peter2td5, here's the info I have on BMW/VAG part numbers for these connectors -

The female connector on the wire tail on a Genuine Land Rover Heated Seat is an AMP/Tyco (now TE Connectivity) 2-way Sealed MQS (Micro Quadlok System) connector -

DefenderHeatedSeatConnector.jpg

The mating male half on the vehicle loom can be sourced from a BMW or a VAG dealer, under various part numbers and are supplied as separate components.

From BMW -

Male terminal, BMW part number - 61 13 8 366 269

Wire seal, BMW part number - 61 13 8 353 706

'Repair Wire' (male terminal to suit 0.75mm2 and wire seal, pre-crimped to a length of wire), BMW part number - 61 13 0 006 666

I've not yet found a part number for the connector shell from BMW, only a 'Harness Repair Kit', which is a complete male connector on a short harness, BMW part number - 83 30 0 402 344

Connector0001%252520.jpg

It's a Blue version of the Male MQS Connector, but it will mate to the Black female connector, as shown in this picture from a BMW Motorcycle forum -

DSC04512.jpg

From VAG -

Although MQS connectors are used on VAG vehicles, the sealed type only seem to be used as Sensor/Device connectors and, as such, only the female MQS Connector appears to be available as a spare.

I've only managed to tracked down part numbers for the Female Connector Shell, Female Terminals, Wire Seals, Female and Male 'Repair Wires'

Male 'Repair Wire', VAG part number - 000 979 012 - a short length of 0.5mm2 wire with a terminal crimped at either end

046857.jpg

Wire Seal, VAG part number - 3B0 972 742 B

357972740F.jpg

Another source for the Male Connector Shell is to buy a Discovery 4 Heated Washer Jet, part number - LR018834

Dismantle the connector and re-use it with new terminals/seals from BMW/VAG

D2-D3-Heated-Washer-Large.jpg

In response to a PM from peter2td5, here's the info I have on BMW/VAG part numbers for these connectors -

The female connector on the wire tail on a Genuine Land Rover Heated Seat is an AMP/Tyco (now TE Connectivity) 2-way Sealed MQS (Micro Quadlok System) connector -

DefenderHeatedSeatConnector.jpg

The mating male half on the vehicle loom can be sourced from a BMW or a VAG dealer, under various part numbers and are supplied as separate components.

From BMW -

Male terminal, BMW part number - 61 13 8 366 269

Wire seal, BMW part number - 61 13 8 353 706

'Repair Wire' (male terminal to suit 0.75mm2 and wire seal, pre-crimped to a length of wire), BMW part number - 61 13 0 006 666

I've not yet found a part number for the connector shell from BMW, only a 'Harness Repair Kit', which is a complete male connector on a short harness, BMW part number - 83 30 0 402 344

Connector0001%252520.jpg

It's a Blue version of the Male MQS Connector, but it will mate to the Black female connector, as shown in this picture from a BMW Motorcycle forum -

DSC04512.jpg

From VAG -

Although MQS connectors are used on VAG vehicles, the sealed type only seem to be used as Sensor/Device connectors and, as such, only the female MQS Connector appears to be available as a spare.

I've only managed to tracked down part numbers for the Female Connector Shell, Female Terminals, Wire Seals, Female and Male 'Repair Wires'

Male 'Repair Wire', VAG part number - 000 979 012 - a short length of 0.5mm2 wire with a terminal crimped at either end

046857.jpg

Wire Seal, VAG part number - 3B0 972 742 B

357972740F.jpg

Another source for the Male Connector Shell is to buy a Discovery 4 Heated Washer Jet, part number - LR018834

Dismantle the connector and re-use it with new terminals/seals from BMW/VAG

D2-D3-Heated-Washer-Large.jpg